Pulling bulletts with a kinetic puller

jammer300

I just pulled about 20 bulletts with a kinetic puller and was planning on reworking my load after mixed results from yesterday's trip to the range. I was talking with a friend about it and he said I may as well consider the bullets damaged and throw them in the trash after pulling them. Is this true? They are the 208 gr. ELD-M. I can see how the polymer tip could become damaged during the pulling process and maybe a few small scuff marks on the jacket. If one was to be careful to not damage the tip would it still be considered a good and accurate bullet?

I don't know about ELD bullets but I have pulled Hornady Interlocks and Sierra Game Kings with a kinetic puller and reused them with good results. I've found it best to put a small ball of cotton in the tip of the puller so when the bullet comes out of the case it's stopped in the cotton that way there is less bullet tip deformation.

Kevin Thomas-(He used to be with Sierra & Lapua) Posted here once that a bullet is the best it's going to be when it drops from the machine. Everything after is a variable.

I think it depends on what your accuracy expectations are. Some shoot them as fouling shots, or other practice.

If you're working up loads, I wouldn't use them because of that variable added. Once you've established the baseline you want then you could go back, and see if they meet your expectations.

Waynzee, I hadn't thought of putting cotton in the puller. I will give that a try and see if it helps.

HARPERC, I'm only looking for moa accuracy out to 600 yards. I think I will save them for fouler shots anyways and just see how they do since I'm trying to establish an accurate load I don't need any other potential variables in the mix. Thanks for the help guys.

My kinetic pulled has some cushion on the bottom, and I pulled 208s with no damage at all. I watch carefully and when the bullet is about to exit the case neck I soften the blows so it doesn't impact any harder than necessary..

I just pulled about 20 bulletts with a kinetic puller and was planning on reworking my load after mixed results from yesterday's trip to the range. I was talking with a friend about it and he said I may as well consider the bullets damaged and throw them in the trash after pulling them. Is this true? They are the 208 gr. ELD-M. I can see how the polymer tip could become damaged during the pulling process and maybe a few small scuff marks on the jacket. If one was to be careful to not damage the tip would it still be considered a good and accurate bullet?

There are several reasons why I don't use a kinetic puller, and these are just a few of them:

1) Potential bullet deformation
2) Potential primer ignition (not from puncture, but from residual impact)
3) It is made of thick plastic, so they will eventually break
4) Noisy
5) Messy (powder dumping out)

None of these things are guaranteed to happen (except for noisy and powder dumping), but IMO, the price of a collet puller with collets is not that much more, but is a significantly better alternative.

I use a collet-style bullet puller that mounts in my press like a reloading die. It makes pulling bullets very simple, secure, and controlled. You can also re-use the bullets because if you're careful and don't squeeze the bullets too hard, it won't cause any jacket markings or deformation. Also, your powder charge stays in the case, so if you simply want to change bullets or seating depth and keep your charge weight, or dump your charge into another case or container, you can.

Here is what I use:

RCBS Collet Bullet Puller

RCBS Collet Bullet Puller Collet 30 Cal (308 Diameter)

Waynzee, I hadn't thought of putting cotton in the puller. I will give that a try and see if it helps.

HARPERC, I'm only looking for moa accuracy out to 600 yards. I think I will save them for fouler shots anyways and just see how they do since I'm trying to establish an accurate load I don't need any other potential variables in the mix. Thanks for the help guys.

300, I had to pull 16 115 Bergers last year. I use them as foulers for 3 rifles. I aim them at the outside of the target.

300, I had to pull 16 115 Bergers last year. I use them as foulers for 3 rifles. I aim them at the outside of the target.

Or better save them for a take some one to the range day-so you don't get out shot by beginner with your own rifle.:D

There are several reasons why I don't use a kinetic puller, and these are just a few of them:

1) Potential bullet deformation
2) Potential primer ignition (not from puncture, but from residual impact)
3) It is made of thick plastic, so they will eventually break
4) Noisy
5) Messy (powder dumping out)

Out of the 5 possible results listed by MudRunner , 4 have happened to me while using an inertia hammer Kinetic bullet puller . #1 , potential bullet deformation has NOT happened yet , as I use 1 or 2 foam earplugs in the bottom of the hammer tube .
# 5 , yes the powder dumps .
# 4 , quite noisy .
# 3 , I have broken 2 , so far .
# 2 , You have not experienced an adrenalin rush until you have a Federal 215 primer ignite on top of a .300 Win. Mag . loaded with 77 grains of H1000 .
EVERYTHING went into SLOW-MOTION , as I watched the primer lift out of the primer pocket , looking much like the NASA Lunar Landing Craft of 1969 , with a jet of flame blowing from it's cup , as it shot by my face , going upward into , and nearly through , the sheetrock ceiling in my garage , as I was wildly throwing the hammer out the open door . I think that the only thing that stopped it from achieving orbit was that it buried into the lower edge of a 2" x 12" beam in the attic .
When this happened a second time a few months later , I retired the Kinetic hammer .

I have heard stories of primers popping and powder ignition when using a kinetic puller and it is definitely in my mind when I use this puller. Definitely don't want that to happen. My puller does have a piece of foam in the bottom of it to help prevent tip deformation but I put a piece of cotton in last night as extra padding and that seemed to help alot. No tip deformation with those bullets pulled. I definitely see a collet puller in my near future.:)

You think those bullets are scratched, you should see one after it goes through a barrel. I would use them. In fact I have pulled and used bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts