Puffy Jacket

Jumping in here…
Searching for the right puffy jacket and pants for a September Alaskan caribou hunt in the brooks range. Will have a hard shell for over the top.

What has worked in this "wet" type environment for down puffy? Does the water repellent down make a true difference?

My concern being it will likely get some moisture even under a hard shell. Not stuck on name brands, want warm, compressible and around 1lb.

Kuiu Super Down Pro
SG Gruman
Montbell Alpine
Black Ovis Anchor
Mountain Hardwear

Open to input

Unless something changes its been the wettest darn summer anyone can remember all over this bleeming state so wet is a safe bet.

My favorite all time wet weather puffy us the mountain hardwear compressor. My life is wet and cold (last week I saw one day over 60 and several with inch plus accumulations.. because alaska in july) never mind spending half of my 20s and 30s sitting on a cold wet boat deck. Haven't yet found one that's equal for wet and cold in a layer. They wear ok, I rotate out frequently on deck and my first 3 made it 4-5 years before they were nothing but stuff and fluff. Went to marmot featherless, then something from mamutt and eventually sucked it up and bought 2x more this spring. Only thing that ever rivaled were the smart wool like the marmot variant. But they wore like paper mache and while warm wet they didn't last long.

I have a Kelvin active jacket from Sitka…great layering piece and very thin and light. I use it for flyfishing in Montana in early April and it is one of the best pieces I own for that - I just always have a shell with me so if that is a concern I just throw that in over top. If you have a light shell just buy the right puffy and use a shell if it is wet.

They are on close out now as well. Link

Recent Posts