Proof Research ??? rifles???

Buzzsaw

I know their barrels are first rate. I'm looking at having them build one of their lightweight complete rifles but they want over $6,000 for one, dam I thought I paid allot for my McWhorter custom.......

oh no, scope is not included ha ha

I would have someone else do it. I'm having Pierce do my 6.5 with a proof barrel and to action and screws. Everything else is lightweight carbon. I'll still be under 6g I'm sure.

I've heard good things about Pierce , I will check them out. I really need to stay around 5.5 lbs. I've found MG Arms. They build a really fine lightweight rifle.

WE have the Dallas safari Club Convention coming to Dallas first weekend in January. I will be there talking to builders.

I have developed loads for a Proof Research 300 RUM terminus and a 6.5 Creedmoor tach II. Both shot extremely well. Both rifles were built to perfection. I found NO issues what so ever with either rifle. (can't say that for some of the customs I have worked with.....)

The 300 RUM chamber was perfectly headspaced, I know because I checked it with my headspace gauge. It cleaned up very easily. I was so impressed with my first encounter with a Proof custom that I called them to complement them. I was discovered they used the exact reamer I own, designed by PT&G.

The 6.5 Creedmoor took a bit more work to find a load, but it was typical load workups. Again the barrel cleanup was fast and easy.

Since then I have worked up a load for a 300 win mag custom that used one of their barrels.

Just this past week was with a friend who just acquired a summit in 243. The summit is a dream to carry. I just love the texture and color of its stock.

IMO I don't think you could go wrong with one of their barrels or one of their customs.

My encounters are like AZ. I have only worked with one full on Proof rifle. When I got the rifle from our customer I was of the mind that it was an over priced rifle. After we were done with custom load development we started two customer rifle builds with Proof barrels. Working with Proof now to get a barrel for a 375 project for a customer.

At this point my opinion is nothing goes out their door that is not very high quality. They don't let mistakes out the door.

Steve

I am sorry, but $6000 seems over priced by about $1500-2000.
I think you could work with one of the great smiths on this sight and have something light weight built for $4000 or less.
Send me a PM if you would like a recommendation for a smith.

agree the closet I have come was paying $5000 for my mcwnorter. I then bought a full custom built on a defiance action, .25 gun. no reason to pay over $4k on one/

$2k will buy a dang fine optic

I don't disagree. I was only commenting on the quality. I don't think the op would be disappointed in his purchase if he got one. A guy only gets disappointed when he spends top dollar and does not get quality. Guys only complain about their new $75,000 pickup if it has problems. To me they are $30,000 over priced.

Steve

so true

I add up the cost of parts. most come tp plus or minus 3 grand. then YOU have to decide if the name is worth the other 3k

For a hunting rifle that needs to hit a target from a basketball to a beach ball, you'd have to be out of your mind to spend $6'000, for any custom built rifle by anyone,especially when it doesn't make any difference where you hit it ! I never saw any animal that knew what type of rifle that bullet came from, nor did any care ! Now target or competition shooting that's another story when where where you hit the target matters but never for a hunting rifle... I got enough to worry about let alone dragging that masterpiece out in snow, rain, rocks and horse crap !!

Here's my 2 cents....

I've built quite a few hunting rifles in the past. When I say I built them, I don't mean I am a gunsmith and I've swapped barrels or blueprinted actions myself, I just mean that I bought a factory rifle and "modified" or "accurized" them by adding new stocks and bedded them as well as bedded my scope bases etc... That being said I've bought a few custom rifles and spent up to $5000 on a rifle without a scope. I've had a lot of luck with getting factory rifles to easily shoot subMOA groups at various yardages. I will say that my customs have been complete tack drivers but on the other hand I don't have them anymore. I got to a point where I decided to build myself an all in one lightweight hunting rifle that just happened to be a tack driver. I decided to start off with a Christensen Ridgeline chambered in 6.5PRC. The rifle was subMOA out of the box but I knew I could make it better. I went with a manners EH1 stock, bedded the recoil lug, Nightforce picatinny base, bedded that and then added my Nightforce ATACR 4-16x50F. 2 sitting on the NF ultra lite rings. I topped it off with an evolution bipod and the entire rifle loaded weighs in at just around 10.25lbs. I have been able to consistently hit targets out to 1673 yards well below MOA. That is definitely heavier than what you are looking for but I've found that a rifle between 10-11 pounds to be about perfect as a long range hunting rifle as well as a stalking rifle. It is a little heavy as a sheep rifle but still not bad at all. Aside from the scope, I've got a whopping $2800 invested and I couldn't be happier with it. I look back at all of the money I invested in other builds and it just seems unnecessary and wasteful. I am not saying not to go 100% custom but in my opinion you can do just as good with real world hunting for a fraction of the cost.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.