Prone Shooting Position

ShtRdy Here is a picture of me laying prone marking score in the slow fire prone, there is no problem getting your support hand under your rifle when laying straight instead of at a angle, I'll have to go back in some older albums an find a picture where I am actually fully in the shooting position.

Attachments

• tn[1].jpg
    tn[1].jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 108
Like Tomas, I was taught to angle my body to shoot prone In the military.
The idea was to find the angle that best suited your build. I was told to lay flat on the ground with your back straight and while holding the rifle to your shoulder and cheek look at the natural angle caused by the difference between your cheek and shoulder. (Everyone is different).

Then move your body until the rifle lined up with the target while still keeping your back straight. Same principle as the 45o position but modified to fit the individual.

I didn't have any problems with my elbow moving during firing the Garand and later went on to shooting a bolt gun in the high power matches. these matches did not allow any part of the body to touch the ground except the elbows, so you could not use any form of rear rest.

Like many, I tried the inline body position to see if I could improve my scores at 300 yard rapid fire , 600 yard slow fire and 1000 yard slow fire. It did not work for me, so I went back to finding the best angle for Me.

I don't think there is any "One" position for everyone and that each must find whats best for him. I still don't use a rear bag (Maybe because that was not the way I was trained) and I feel comfortable not using one hunting even though For matches like F class I know the bag could help.

Prone was always my best position because I had found the best position for me.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I shoot prone with body angled. Body inline is not comfortable to me. I think prone shooting can yield some of the best groups because the resistance to recoil is naturally more consistent than from a bench or other positions. Your body is what presents the resistance more than how stiff of a grip and shoulder your giving it.

With respect to a front brace, I often wonder how much bounce a bipod causes. Going from practice to hunting, I think it's best to practice all different ways and keep records of how different positions and braces affect POI. When hunting, I always hold the forend brace or no brace. Practicing I do both, hold and cross arm except on my 7RM; with that I always hold the forend. When practicing for hunting I use the same braces I would use while hunting. My backpack is a good front brace. My rifle are all under 10 lbs., all intended to be hiking / hunting capable.

Thanks Jim,
All new PRS competitors should read this article.

With my Ruger Precision Rifle, Atlas bipod and CTK monopod and my shooting mat I can shoot as well as, if not better, than when I use a bench with my front cast iron, adjustable rest and rear bag rest.
I find putting NO forward pressure on the bipod gives me the best results.

Dialing that monopod gives me an exact elevation, better than squeezing a rear bag.

Eric B.

On rear bags, i use a combination, for hunting i prefer the Short Action Precision, "run and gun" bag. It is super light and has a flush cup adpt. on it so it can be attached to your rifle butt and go everywhere with-out thought and be ready at a moments notice.

On laying straight or off-set. Historically guys were trained to shoot slung at an angle, here I am talking about using a bipod. For the most recoil control a straight line position will give you a position that allows you to see every shot land on or off target. Something that is unnecessary when shooting high-power. it is uncomfortable at first but you will adapt.

Shootin4Fun, A bipod causes no more "bounce" than a cast adjustable iron front bench rest. What causes "bounce" is poorly designed rifle stocks and lack of a good muzzle brake.

Poorly designed stocks put the heel of the stock (recoil pad top) lower and out of line with the barrel. Early Weatherby stocks are a prime example of this.
The Ruger Precision Rifle, ARs and a few other rifles keep the stock in line with the barrel which cuts way down on muzzle rise.

Notably stocks with a Monte Carlo cheekpiece have low recoil pads out of line with the recoil of the rifle. That's OK if you are ONLY doing offhand shooting from a mild recoiling rifle like a Win. .243 but otherwise not recommended.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.