private land elk hunt recommendations

Another option is a New Mexico muzzle loader hunt since the demand on these hunts are way down. The reason being NM banned scopes from muzzleloaders last year. However, a goos muzzleloader with a peep site can still get you out there a ways. So, these hunts can be negotiated for a very reasonable price.

Looking for recommendations for a private land elk hunt. I'm a senior and somewhat limited in agility. would prefer fair chase with good success rates.
Not sure what you're financial constraints are. But research Texas Elk hunts. Elk are considered an exotic species in Texas, so there are no seasons. Check out fair chase or free range outfitters or hunting ranches. Almost all hunting land in Texas is private.

New Mexico and Arizona come to mind first for easier terrain and good numbers of elk, in New Mexico you can buy a landowner tag and go hunt without having to draw a tag. It is SUPER expensive but that is the easy button.
There are no "private land" elk tags in AZ. And non-resident tags are limited to max of 10% of available tags, so hard to draw. Heck, even the better resident tags are hard to draw. Last one I personally had took me 18 years. I am now on year 8 of applying with no luck.

As for easy terrain...again...you picked the wrong state for elk country. Last elk hunt I was on two years ago with my nephew, we averaged 7.2 miles and 4k elevation change a day for 7 days straight on the boots.

Last edited:
Colorado ranching for wildlife would be a possibility. Do a web search and you will get a list of landowner/outfitters that are enrolled in the program. Not as cheap as a diy but definitely cheaper than some of the prices mentioned above although these are not trophy hunts but usually properties have good numbers of elk.
I have used a outfitter enrolled in the RFW numerous times and have always had good hunts.