private land elk hunt recommendations

Hmrhead

Looking for recommendations for a private land elk hunt. I'm a senior and somewhat limited in agility. would prefer fair chase with good success rates.

New Mexico and Arizona come to mind first for easier terrain and good numbers of elk, in New Mexico you can buy a landowner tag and go hunt without having to draw a tag. It is SUPER expensive but that is the easy button.

Hmm not much to go off of here...........

Budget
State
Archery
Rifle
Muzzle Loader
Cow
Bull
On your own
Outfitted

Might wish to fill in the blanks a bit eh:)
It would be rifle. Prefer bull but cow is acceptable at this late juncture. Guided or diy is also acceptable.

Looking for recommendations for a private land elk hunt. I'm a senior and somewhat limited in agility. would prefer fair chase with good success rates.
Your best bet would be to go with an outfitter since hunting them is strenous …..and if you get one then that is where all the muscle from someone healthier than I am is worth it.

I do this every year with Keith Williams through his outfitting business in New Mexico. I am at the age where I can't wait and take a chance on a draw. So landowner tags furnished with the hunt is what I have to do. And, yes it is more expensive, but time is precious.

If your interested in hearing more, PM me and will be more than happy to discuss further.

It would be rifle. Prefer bull but cow is acceptable at this late juncture. Guided or diy is also acceptable.
From this post I am assuming that you are wanting to go this year?
Most good outfitters book up at a minimum one year in advance and usually two.
You could possibly get ahold of any recommended outfitters mentioned here and ask to be notified if they have a cancellation. I don't want to sound like I'm putting you down but most non residents plan at least a year out and not a couple months.
Good luck with your search.

I agree with the above, NM or AZ and don't exclude CO.

I've only looked into nm myself. I'd say for a cow hunt you're looking at 2-3k. Good chance an outfitter has a tag or two available. This would be a great way to test the water as it can be a little less physically demanding. Cows are typically a little easier to locate allowing you to pick and chose you hunt area and kill.

IMO, bulls in most units for tag and guided hunt will start at 8k and quickly run to an average of say 11-12k in quality units. Cheaper tags do exist but are hard to come by and may mean tough lower success hunts.

Premium units are another discussion.

I'd say to start calling outfitters and see what they have to offer. If you don't call you certainly won't find one.

I agree with the above, NM or AZ and don't exclude CO.

I've only looked into nm myself. I'd say for a cow hunt you're looking at 2-3k. Good chance an outfitter has a tag or two available. This would be a great way to test the water as it can be a little less physically demanding. Cows are typically a little easier to locate allowing you to pick and chose you hunt area and kill.

IMO, bulls in most units for tag and guided hunt will start at 8k and quickly run to an average of say 11-12k in quality units. Cheaper tags do exist but are hard to come by and may mean tough lower success hunts.

Premium units are another discussion.

I'd say to start calling outfitters and see what they have to offer. If you don't call you certainly won't find one.
Those prices do not reflect 2024 for hunts say like in New Mexico. Add at least 3K for the average units and as much as 25 to 30K in the premium units. I am talking about guided hunts with guaranteed land owner/unit wide tag.

Ouch, it's been a minute since seriously looking at private hunts.

Here's an example of what I was thinking about. Unit 37 private with an outfitter who has 20 plus years of public and private under his belt. Now does he have a tag at this late junction, who knows...

13k for 1 on 1 full service with lodge food and on site processing.

Recent Posts