primer types

the kiwi

I have a remington 700 in 300 win mag and will be reloading for it. I am going to be using hornady 190 grain BTSP bullets and reloder 22 powder. Any differences or preferences for primers between federal large rifle magnum primers and CCI large rifle magnum primers?

The 190 Hornady is a great bullet for the 300 win if your rifle likes it. My current 300 win(browning) likes the 165 and 180 hornady, but not the 190. It likes 220 sierras though. My rem m700 300win liked the 190 hornady with h1000 and made 3000 fps even with it. I usually shoot rl series, but this one wanted slow single base. I almost always use the 215 for 300 win loads. The 215 doesn't have as much ash as the cci primers and burns hot enough for extremely cold temps.. I usually use cci primers for rifles that either don't wear badly, or I don't care about; not necessarily in that order.

Thanks - you are the second person to reccomend the federal 215 primer, so I will go for those. Hope the 190s do well; I got them for moose.

gm215m

It never occurred to me not to buy match primers.
Either or, but stay with one of them and the regular one is as accurate in most rifles and cheaper. I've heard reports of them actually being a bit different, but these may by people pushing to hard and day to day differences were noted and mis-construed as primer differences. I really doubt there's a significant difference.

With RL22 in my 7mag I consistently get the best results with Fed215M and Rem 9 1/2M, Ironic that their each on opposite ends of the spectrum for "magnum primers", Fed 215 and CCI250 are consistently the worst, WLRM do ok

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.