Pressure Signs - M16 High Power Rifle

Whatever are your service rifle goals, keep in mind at least half of the shots in competition will be shot on your belly. Train in that position to where you can put a round in the center at will. 200 yards is a good venue, even 100 yards. At these short distances you can train with your position and shot execution and be able to call your shots.

There will be some wind at short distances, but most of the times, wind will not take you our of the 10 ring. Start with SR, then to SR42, then to MR52. Slow fire prone first, then rapid. By the time you can clean the Mr42 and MR52 train in sitting rapud, followed by standing. When trained hard for every shot I fired in standing I shot 10 in prone slow fire.

It sounds counter intuitive, but the way I see it, once you ingrained what that shot alignment and shot picture look in the steady slung positions, it easier to recognize it in standing.

However, dry fire standing at home with gear and all. 30 minutes every night or every other night pays big dividends.

When master your positions and shot execution, learning wind reading would be a little easier, because the aforementioned items are gtg. You are not learning multiple things all at once

When I chased the badge, I fired my first LEG match in Fall of 95, got points. I am such a lousy standing shooter, Spring of 96, on my 2nd LEG match, I shot a miss, ended with 81 in standing. I still managed a high 470s, and got another 6 point LEG. That illustrates the benefit of shooting cleans or near cleans in the slung up steady positions.

Very few people out there can shoot cleans in standing, or even in the high end of HM stores... the low hanging fruits are in the steady positions.

Just 2 cents worth of unsolicited input.