Premium Production Rifles Worth It?

The $2k price can also get someone into a nice custom with a prefit barrel. An origin with a Savage style barrel, trigger, stock would be around there.

Below that, Tikka, every day of the week. The actions are excellent, they're rather light, and they shoot great. If you're looking for bolt and go, pick a caliber that won't recoil too much for you in the light gun and grab a stainless super light when they're on sale at sportsman's. Save up for some good glass and you're all set.

The whole reason of going custom or semi custom is that there isn't a factory offering that fits your desires. Maybe it's a new cartridge, or a specific reamer you want. Maybe you just prefer a fancy stock and match grade trigger. But if you're not after those things, I wouldn't pay extra for them.
I like the Tikkas and some of them are in the low 6 lbs., which put them in the running ... but is it true that they all have a long one-size-fits-all action that is used for even short action calibers? That would really bug me. I always used long actions growing up (it was always an '06 or .270 or 7mm mag) and really wanted a short action rifle.

Stainless super light Tikka in 308 5lb 15oz, with one piece aluminum rings (leupold) 3oz, and VX5 3-14x40 1lb 2oz. Just put one together and only shot one factory load in it so far. Factory set trigger right at 3lb no creep no overtravel. Nosler 165 AB Trophy Grade holds 1'- 1.5" at 100yds. Killed two bucks so far 350 and 250yds one shot and a few steps each. No clue what it will finally do until I get a chance to load for it.

My question is: For these sorts of distances, do the higher-priced production rifles really offer me much beyond a normal production rifle, like a Ruger American or Savage 110? If so, what exactly do I get for the extra cash (other than reduction in weight in some cases)? The higher-priced production rifles that I am currently looking at are along the lines of the Kimber rifles, the Seekins Havak, or a Sako. Here, I'm talking about sub-$2K rifles, and I am really looking at lightweight rifles (say 6.5 pounds or less).
I think you will find the main difference between $400-$800 rifles and $1500 or so rifles will be in practical accuracy. Generally, the more expensive rifles have better stocks and triggers. They also tend to be full featured and include things like a muzzle brake and maybe flush cup sling mounts.
Off a Benchrest, you may get similar groups, but in the field, stock fit, trigger pull quality and a brake can make the gun easier to hit with.

I know that a $3K+ custom rifle will show its worth when shooting at longer ranges, and the best tool for me would probably be a custom job with a titanium action, carbon shrouded barrel, carbon fiber stock and such. I just don't think that those extra thousands of dollars are going to give me much ROI if 400 yards is my max shooting range. So, my plan is to invest my money now and then look into a custom when I'm older and have more time to start reloading and truly learn how to use it.
A $3k - $5k rifle gets you what you want and should have a best quality barrel. Matched with truly great load development, this can get you sub 1/2 moa groups…..that said, truly great load development can get you 0.6-0.8 moa groups in many factory rifles.

Custom should include some kind of stock fitting, but is generally done long distance so it does not. To me the biggest difference is you can get any chamber you want throated any way you want by a truly excellent gunsmith. This eases load development and can allow the highest levels of accuracy. Generally the only things holding these guns back from shooting benchrest groups are stock fit to bags, too light, trigger too heavy and shooter skill.

On the other hand, you may choose to build a custom as a 6lb gun with a 3lb trigger and a cf barrel because it is truly ordering what you want.

Superb accuracy is often found at $2500 -$3500 because it comes from heavy SS barrels chambered by a master, hung on heavy glued in actions, stocked in a heavy laminate or fiberglass stock shaped for sandbag rest with a 2oz trigger and no frills. Just lock, stock & barrel at max weight!

So I agree with what was stated earlylier. For your ranges you don't need much. I may be a bit different here but your hunting is exactly what must in Michigan do at most 4-500 yards. After building full custom ultra lights I can say keep in mind they are Harder to shoot at distance than a standard weight rifle.
Now myself and some on here won't have a problem but as a guy who spends a huge amount of time helping setup people for hunts they are going on. Must come out with all the right gear but fail to realize without all the proper bench and bags setup for them the kimbers can be hard to shoot so practice a lot.
Second I think people are on to something with the cheaper gun spend money elsewhere. Better scope, hunts, and I say some custom ammo would be a great route. Cheap gun with custom ammo will usually shoot better than good gun cheap ammo.
As for caliber I always recommend a .243 for those distance especially with your game being what it is. Keep in mind the .243 and 6creed are basically the same for your purpose. bC doesn't come into play until after your ranges so speed will be king.
Can't go wrong with either the .243, 6 creed, or 6.5 creed or even a 6.5 grendel. Keep in mind bullets are important don't expect match ammo to work like hunting ammo. It can but I prefer better bullets.
I would say if I would recommend
.243 or 6.5 creed. Savage or ruger.
Put a decent scope on it and send it out to a place like hammer bullets and get custom load work done with ammo. Or have a friend help load for you. They send back loaded ammo and you can order more anytime needed. Then go enjoy it.

Cheap lures will catch fish. Expensive lures catch fishermen!

My $269.00 Ruger American .270 weighs 6.2 pounds. Topped with a cheap, but light Nikon scope, it will shoot an 1 1/4" group at 200 yards with cheap Hornady American Whitetail ammo and it's an absolute pleasure to carry in the field. Hard to argue with that!

On the other hand, I've had to mess with it to get it shooting well. The stock is pure crap and needed sanding and shimming to get the barrel off it, and the trigger needed some tinkering as well. The bolt looks for things to get snagged on and opens every time it can. There's probably a fix for that as well.

Bottom line is I have many more expensive rifles that shoot well without all the fussing but you pay for that one way or the other in dollars and or pounds.

You are on the right track. I have a Seekins Havak PH1 and a Seekins element, along with other various factory rifles and some really nice customs. The Havak is in 6.5 PRC and just shoots — factory Hornady around 1/2 MOA and hand loads slightly better. I often choose to pack it over my lighter weight customs, because of poor weather conditions and it is a nice balance of weight, function and accuracy. It has a following and nickname amongst my hunting partners as "the legend". So far, all one shot kills at all ranges out to just under 800. For what you describe I would get one in 6.5 PRC or 6mmCM.

bergara in any of there platforms would be my pick for a production rifle first than howa or kimber hunter, and in ur instance it would be in 7mm-08
Have you gotten your hands on both the B-14 and Premier to see if the price difference is warranted with those Bergaras?

Prius...Power Wagon... Both get you there. It's how they do it...

Light weight rifles are nice to carry. Shooting them accurately as mentioned is a little challenging and takes practice. As you mention your ranges are limited, that helps with that.

I had a Rem 700 BDL in 30-06 that had a Game Scout on it, with the Swaro 3-10 it was under 9 pounds. Could go even lighter with the lightweight fill, blind mag, etc.

Had a 300 RUM with the same scope that was right at 8.2 pounds, but that comes with a cost of $$$ and shooting.

I think you could do some things (customize) to your 30-06 that would give it what you want and would be less expensive in the long run. BUT I would never discourage someone away from getting a new rifle...You have to decide if you want to downsize, upgrade, etc. 30-06 is tough to beat for an all around one and done rifle. Load light and fast and recoil is nice. Load heavies for that elk hunt one day.

I have chased the dragon (still do) with light vs heavy, custom vs factory. In the end it is ultimately what you want to $$$$.

I like the Tikkas and some of them are in the low 6 lbs., which put them in the running ... but is it true that they all have a long one-size-fits-all action that is used for even short action calibers? That would really bug me. I always used long actions growing up (it was always an '06 or .270 or 7mm mag) and really wanted a short action rifle.

Correct, but they will have a bolt stop and shorter magazine based on the cartridge. Flip side, if you reload a new bolt stop and magazine let's you load heavy bullets long. With their weight and the bolt stop for the shorter throw, you won't notice the difference.

Just keep in mind even short action rounds kick in a gun that light. For 500 and in on deer I'd be looking at 6.5 creedmoor, 7mm-08, maybe 6 creedmoor.

You know it is possible to just adjust your 30-06 to fit what you need. I don't know what you have but a 7 1/2 pound rifle is not bad. You can add a muzzle break and good recoil pad to reduce recoil. You can load from 110 grain to 220 grain bullets with it. Change to a light weight scope. You could even add a light weight stock. All this for under $1000 and may be under $700 depending on how much you expect to spend on the scope. Give it barrel a very good scrubbing to improve accuracy. The 30-06 has a lot of possibilities.

Tikka TX3 6.6lbs of your flavor ( 6.5prc would be great } $750

NightForce SHV3x10. $850 20oz

And be done✔️ . Factory ammo out to 500+ ez .

When it comes to nice top tier rifles you will get better fit and finish. Maybe better trigger. Barrel wise, anything $1000+ will shoot similar with an accurate caliber. Would I ever buy a 2 or 3k rifle over a 1k rifle just to get better accuracy?? Absolutely not. There is a level of diminishing marginal returns in relation to barrel manufacturing due to a few factors:

Advent of modern ammunition
More inherently accurate calibers like 6.5 CM
Modern manufacturing processes
Features that were considered premium come standard on cheap rifles now

From this my opinion that the custom rifle market is for people who want to say their rifle costs 5k and they think it will shoot circles around a 1000 dollar rifle. Save your money, buy a reliable caliber in a mid tier rifle and invest in quality optics and training.

When I worked in firearms, I got to try several different rifles. IMO, a Browning X-Bolt Stalker or a Tikka T3X Lite are just as good as a "premium" Kimber Adirondack, Kimber Mountain Ascent, Seekins Havoc PH or PH2. You can put your savings toward quality rings (Vortex Pro Series are a great buy) and good glass.
6.5 Creedmoor or 7mm-08 will work for you.
Go to some gunshops and see how each of these rifles feel to you.