PRC bullet seating depth

blackfoot95

I'm getting ready to work up a load for a 7mm PRC. normally I'd measure the distance to lands and adjust accordingly but being that the PRC cartridges are designed to have extremely precise chambers I'm considering just using the C.O.A.L. given by the manual. What have ya'll been doing?

there's nothing more precise about that chamber than any other chamber.
I load a bullet in a case with a bit of lube on it and slam it into the rifling which pushes the bullet back into the case. I take .030" off this measurement and compare it to the max length my magazine can take then I load to which ever length is shorter and go from there.

I'm getting ready to work up a load for a 7mm PRC. normally I'd measure the distance to lands and adjust accordingly but being that the PRC cartridges are designed to have extremely precise chambers I'm considering just using the C.O.A.L. given by the manual. What have ya'll been doing?
As with anything else, YMMV. I prefer loading CBTO to the lands regardless of chambering.
How would you do it?

get the hornady OAL gauge and the 7PRC case for the gauge. it is the most accurate, repeatable and easiest way to get the base to ogive, coal etc.

i am currently working on the new Barnes LRX 160. Barnes' guide says 3.325 coal, talked to Barnes they said the LRX likes a lot of jump. For my chamber 3.325 is .26 jump. That is a lot of jump! I tested 3.325, 3.335, 3.350, 3.375 and 3.4. 3.4 was the best by a considerable margin. That's .185 of jump, still quite a lot. Point being my throat is probably longer than the barrels Barnes is using, every barrel will be different. That's why you need to measure and adapt to your barrel.