Practical, Tactical Or ? By Ward W. Brien

Hunterbob I do like all the 30 caliber rounds I just picked up a beautiful Howa 1500 made under the S&W banner today. It's in 30/06 flavor and has blond wood stock but don't tell my wife cause she is a brunette. The wood stocked guns are disappearing fast at least the quality ones so I figured I'd better grab it.

Hunterbob I do like all the 30 caliber rounds I just picked up a beautiful Howa 1500 made under the S&W banner today. It's in 30/06 flavor and has blond wood stock but don't tell my wife cause she is a brunette. The wood stocked guns are disappearing fast at least the quality ones so I figured I'd better grab it.

I bet it its a nice rifle, ... Got a picture? Oh ~ My wife doesn't have a clue whats in my safe... hee hee hee... She sees me cleaning a gun and asks, When did you get that? I just say ," Oh, I had this for a long time ...."

That's funny those are the same tactics I use but she knows because she does the same thing with me with her shoes and clothing. Pictures yes I have pics on my phone but how do I post them? I'm ignorant when it comes to posting and the net.

That's funny those are the same tactics I use but she knows because she does the same thing with me with her shoes and clothing. Pictures yes I have pics on my phone but how do I post them? I'm ignorant when it comes to posting and the net.

That's funny .... :)

I enjoy hunting with my ar-10 and ar-15 458 socom...however my idiot uncles don't like that that what I like to hunt with from time to time and due to their pure ignorance. I catch all kinds of crap from them. all of their hatred for my rifles is based solely on appearance of the rifle never mind the fact that my ar-10 is full capable of MOA accuracy or that I have harvested game at 290 yards with the 458 socom. My uncle glen who's the worst about it "oh it just looks bad" or "its just a people killer and doesn't belong in the wood" " I see a guy with an ar-15 I get nervous" to which my dad replied "a fear of weapons is a sign of mental retardation" the look on his face was priceless.

IMO, I could careless about the rifle's appearance if that's what that individual likes or that's their preference. What's it matter if they can effectively use the rifle and make ethical kills on games?

I wanted to buy, an M1 carbine in 1963..... They were piled on tables in Sears & Roebucks, and Montgomery Wards.... I was 16 and he told me I wasn't buying one. I asked him why... He said they are made to kill people with, and I don't need one , and besides that the M1 Carbine wasn't even good at that. So I bought a hunting rifle (Winchester 308 Model 100) .... Its not going to hurt you to hunt without that black rifle. Keep peace with your Uncles, those guys are your hunting buddies..... Mine are all gone my friend... but I never missed a time to go with them. You'll be hunting alone one day like I am.

It's not just the rifles. If you knew my uncles you'd understand. I have four of them two of which I get along real well with the other two not so much with glen being the worst of the two. back in august, when I killed my biggest aoudad to date. my dad my buddy jake and his father said atta boy, well done stuff like that. my uncle Rex who wasn't there with us called me a psycho for it and said its wrong too shot that far when he heard about it. The rifles are just another platform for them to stand on and bitch about.

TxAoudadKlr,,, I'm rollin on the floor laughin.... sorry, but I think I know those guys.... You just got to give it back to them thats all,,,, they're pushing your button. Next time tell your Uncle Rex it was a longer shot, and the wind was fluctuating between 20 and 40 mph.... That you took a standing shot balancing on a ledge on one foot..... That will get him.... lol ... If he says your a psycho , say Yeah... I feel like I am every time I take a long shot .... I know its something you can't do, but that's ok.... Give it back to them.... Have some fun....

Last edited:
TxAoudadKlr,,, I'm rollin on the floor laughin.... sorry, but I think I know those guys.... You just got to give it back to them thats all,,,, they're pushing your button. Next time tell your Uncle Rex it was a longer shot, and the wind was fluctuating between 20 and 40 mph.... That you took a standing shot balancing on a ledge on one foot..... That will get him.... lol ... If he says your a psycho , say Yeah... I feel like I am every time I take a long shot .... I know its something you can't do, but that's ok.... Give it back to them.... Have some fun....

small world, but sometimes its a little more than pushing buttons.

Very good article, honest and real- I like it because of all three assessments. I am one of those hunters who fills his tags with bucks taken from 100 - 200 yards with an early model 70 chambered for .30-06, mounted with an early Leupold VX-1 3-9x40.

I learned to hunt by playing the thermals, lay of the land, cutting sign ,etc. so creeping up within that range is typical for me, BUT, on a particular hunt this season I was in open country - high desert, we spotted a decent buck about 400 yards out and it was my turn. I played the environment but the environment ran out of play ground and I had no cover or concealment and the buck was, in my estimate while using my duplex reticle, to be 300 yards out. Subsequently I lost my window.

Later it was my partners turn and he took his buck at 350 yards; the difference? A high power scope, his zero and bipod. Otherwise same "off the shelf" caliber rifle. There are different kinds of rifle hunters: road hunters, stand hunters, blind hunters, post and snipe hunters (LR/ELR), spot and stalk hunters, and still hunters-they're all hunters in my book and it's all good. BUT, now I am sold on reaching out with a "borne for the hunt" .270 and it's faster & flatter cartridge along with a Leuplod FX-II 6x36. that combo will reach out to 500-provided I can develop the skills.

I'll still hunt the way I do, yet, i'll have the option of LR and that's why I joined this site - to learn what I may.
Happy hunting.

I hunt just like you do, and I got one custom rifle 270 with a Douglas barrel, built by an old gunsmith in Pasadena TX in 1981.... It cost 1650.00 to build it, It has a Remington action (the only thing Remington) That gun shoots a clover at 200 yds....Its too heavy for me anymore so my Son has it now.... But for open prairie that I have been hunting the last few years makes me take some long shots, and I wished I had it at times... but I carry two rifles on atv...A DPMS LR 308 with a redfield (Revenge) scope 3x9 for under 300 yds SST 168 gr for it; and my Savage 308 with a monarch 3 4x16 mildot.... I am a predator hunter more than anything now,,,yotes, lions, hogs...The DPMS is when I am on foot in washes and gullies for hogs, and I can take a long shot too with it....but the savage is when I glass something 600 + ydsand I use 150 gr Sierras with 47 grs of varget for that.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.