Powder Use???

Lonewolf74

Ok I am pretty new to reloading and have a question about powder and trusting load data you find online.
The issue I have is I looked on hodgon's Web sight to determine what powder to get for my 243 and went with varget but now that I check my hornady reloading manual they don't list varget for the bullets I chose. I went with the 75 grn V-max and picked up some berger 105 grn vld's cus they where on sale though I'm not sure they'll stabilize outa my 9 twist barrel. But now looking in my manual they only list varget for the 65 grn v-max so what do I do? Can I safely go with the load data on hodgon's Web sight? Should I get different powder or maybe the latest hornady manual to see if they have different loads listed?

I'd really hate to not use the varget cus I can't return it and it's a fairly expensive powder but ultimately I want to use the best performer and be safe doing so and I think I can try it in some of my 223 loads but right now I'm very impressed with the cfe223.

So any help and advice is greatly appreciated as well as some powder recommendations, thanks guy's.

Thanks Steve I was figuring it should be good and to just be careful of loads listed by individual people on the web.

Thanks Steve I was figuring it should be good and to just be careful of loads listed by individual people on the web.

Some of the stuff from individuals on the web is from non-standard chambered rifles or very worn rifles that can eat quite a bit more powder before they run into pressure issues. Double check any loads that don't come from either a bullet or powder company and cross reference even those , then do your load run up from the start.

Some of the stuff from individuals on the web is from non-standard chambered rifles or very worn rifles that can eat quite a bit more powder before they run into pressure issues. Double check any loads that don't come from either a bullet or powder company and cross reference even those , then do your load run up from the start.

Start loads are important to pay attention to. Some rifles find pressure way sooner than others. You should always start at the bottom of load data and work up. Particularly if you are working with new to you firearms or bullets.

Steve

Thanks for the input guys.
Another thing I noticed I went ahead and bought some hodgon superformance and it's listed right on the can 49 grns with 75 grn bullet for 243 but it's not in hornady's newest manual and on the hodgon Web sight there not using the 75 grn V-max that I have but I believe a bthp. Will there be that big of difference in the bullet even both being bt that I can't use the same load data and start at the low end?

Thanks for the input guys.
Another thing I noticed I went ahead and bought some hodgon superformance and it's listed right on the can 49 grns with 75 grn bullet for 243 but it's not in hornady's newest manual and on the hodgon Web sight there not using the 75 grn V-max that I have but I believe a bthp. Will there be that big of difference in the bullet even both being bt that I can't use the same load data and start at the low end?

Now comes that internet advice that you have to take with a grain of salt. I would start on the low end with no worries.

Steve

Yes, you will be fine. After you get comfortable with the process you will likely start in the middle of the load data. I've never found my best load at the bottom of the chart, it is not always at the edge of high pressures, but never at the bottom. Personally I've not seen pressure issues on anything that was in the book without touching the lands, they are generally conservative for good reason.

For plinking rounds for rifle or pistols I run the bottom just to save powder though.

You will find that bullet manufactures do not test/list every possible powder for their bullets. Powder manufacturers do not test every bullet make in a particular weight.

When I select a powder/bullet combination I first try to find what has worked well for others for that particular application. I try to find load data from at least 3 trusted sources. Sometimes 3 are not available, so I have to go with what I can find. I also have QuickLoad so I check that as well. I then select components based on this information and availability.

At this point, I will choose a load that I believe to be safe based on all the above information and perform the Berger seating depth test. Once I find the best seating depth, then I start load development.

If I have proven data that I trust, then I base my load development on that data, working up from 7 - 10% below the expected node in 0.7 - 1% increments. If I don't have proven data, then I start at 7 - 10% below listed Max and work up in 0.7 - 1% increments.

There are usually differences in bullets of the same weight but different design, just as there is a difference in coated and un-coated bullets. Testing in the above manner allows for those differences and allows you to start with a safe load.

In your initial post you asked about trusting data online. You can trust data published by Hodgdon's or other manufacturers whether online or in print. There are some websites that provide good data. When I said earlier that I try to get data from at least 3 sources, one of them may be from a forum such as this. NEVER trust any data completely. The manufacturer can have a mis-print. The person on the forum may have a hot load, a large chamber or they may be making it all up. If you have at least 3 sources that closely agree, then you have a good basis for decision making. If this is going to be a long term endeavor, I would strongly suggest you get a copy of QuickLoad. While you can successfully load without it, QuickLoad is a very good tool.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks again guy's it's been help and given me confidence in where to start.
Next question is could any of you give me some load data for the berger 105 grn vld hunting bullet in a 243 and where I could find some data on line? I haven't been able to find any for berger bullets nor can I find a berger manual so I'll order one on line but in the meantime I'd like to research and figure what I can

Thanks again guy's it's been help and given me confidence in where to start.
Next question is could any of you give me some load data for the berger 105 grn vld hunting bullet in a 243 and where I could find some data on line? I haven't been able to find any for berger bullets nor can I find a berger manual so I'll order one on line but in the meantime I'd like to research and figure what I can

Email Berger at [email protected] or call: 714-441-7202
They will email you load data for the bullet and cartridge you desire. They respond rather quickly.

Great replies above.

Yep you gotta be careful with individuals giving out their personal load data.

Steve

Words to save your eyesight by. I once used a reload I got off the net for my 7mmstw that was advertised as below book maximum and the one and only shot I took with it blew out my primer and I had to use a rubber mallet to get my bolt to open. Was my one and only incident of a reload exhibiting high pressure signs in literally thousands of reloads.

Needless to say I pulled the remaining 5 reloads.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.