Powder Prices- Should have stocked up....

Hespco

Powder prices from an 1962 Hodgon reloading manual. Should have stocked up then!!!
Powder prices.JPG

When Mr. Hodgon started "Hodgon Powder" he purchased a Railroad Box Car of 4895 from the US Government after WWII in 1947 for pennies on the pound!

I still have about three or four 8# jugs of mil surplus I purchased in the mid 90's when it was $100 for 32# delivered. It came 4x8# per case. Also, I have a few various 1# canisters that have $5-6.99 price tags on them. All still shoot well.

I am still working on my time machine to travel back and buy powder, primers, gold and silver, and I think I'll grab a few acres of land here and there.

I just wish 12 and 20 pound kegs were still available at the prices from 10 years ago. I remember promo going over 100 bucks for an 8 pound keg and being furious. I’d hate to think what a 20 pound round keg of any decent powder would cost now. Last one I had was 700x and i want to say it was right around 215. Heck I miss them just for the ability to repurpose them as trash cans

Someone do the math. If my parents had purchased each of their 7 kids a 150# keg of 4831 back in '62 instead of a savings bond, what would the return on investment be?? I think I'm gonna have a little chat with my Dad!

I did use a bunch of his powder trying to launch my model cars into low earth orbit in the early '70's - so it's probably best that I didn't have a massive quantity of this stuff back then. Man the fun we had! Nowadays you'd go to jail for saying things that we said on the playground almost every day, not to mention the wild a** fun we had when the adults weren't looking.

What a strange world it's become. Glad my son and grandkids have access to my stash :) I think they'll be fine. :)

Someone do the math. If my parents had purchased each of their 7 kids a 150# keg of 4831 back in '62 instead of a savings bond, what would the return on investment be?? I think I'm gonna have a little chat with my Dad!

I did use a bunch of his powder trying to launch my model cars into low earth orbit in the early '70's - so it's probably best that I didn't have a massive quantity of this stuff back then. Man the fun we had! Nowadays you'd go to jail for saying things that we said on the playground almost every day, not to mention the wild a** fun we had when the adults weren't looking.

What a strange world it's become. Glad my son and grandkids have access to my stash :) I think they'll be fine. :)
Just had to do it. Last time PV had IMR 4831 in stock, it was $66/lb, so for 150 lbs, it would be $9,900. So just call it $10k