Powder choice, bullet, and group size.

aj427ci

Preface: I'm trying to put a load together for a 7mm-08 with 150 ELDX with Sta ball 6.5.

I bought a pound of sta ball 6.5 to try to get some more velocity over Varget or H4350 (powders I have on hand). I have found either the gun doesn't like the powder or the bullet. Best groups have been around 1.5 moa @100yrds. Would you give up on the bullet or the powder?

I have a 7-08 and I am using Nosler 150g Ballistic Tips with Varget, it is the most accurate powder next to Win 760.
I use H4350 in my 260AI, but have never found it any good in a standard 308 based cartridge, it's too slow.

I would say your rifle doesn't like that powder.

Cheers.

Been there and tried that. My 7-08 dislikes 6.5 staball. I tried it with 140 BT with about the same results as you. The velocity numbers really pull you in but over 1" groups are unacceptable for me.
I ended up using Ramshot big game but I think it's probably a little fast for 150's but then again I think varget is too fast for 150's to get decent velocity.
Edit to add: ditch the 6.5 SB and try the H4350

Last edited:
My 7-08 likes 4350 but really shines with staball. However,it doesn't do well with Hornady bullets. All guns have a personality, get 2 identical guns and they still have preferences. Good luck finding yours.