Planning first elk hunt need help

Everyone thanks a ton for all the replies. I'm going to definitely take my .30-06 and .308 and load them heavy. I already got PMs for outfitters and am speaking to one in Wyoming and one in Colorado. The real limiting factor is my buddy graduates from his masters program in December 2020 and the big bull hunts are usually done around the beginning of November. He goes right to work in Jan and he doesn't know where his job will take him in 2021.

One outfitter is trying to figure out what big game we can hunt in December where we will really experience a wilderness adventure. Right now I was told by several outfitters that December is too harsh and they only offer softer, cow elk, come back to a lodge at night type hunts.

Anyway regardless of what happens, I'm pumped. A cow elk hunt in December with one of my army buds shooting some custom .30 cal rifles sounds pretty awesome to me.

@Pulpwood and @Forcedoutage are you guys in the paper industry?! Lol

Just my two cents. You said once in a lifetime hunt. I think I would use a guide. I have hunted the same area for 20 plus years. It takes along time to learn a area and know where elk want to be and what they do when they get pressured. Remember to have fun and make the most out your hunt. This is something you guys will talk about for years to come. It is very addictive i have a feeling this first elk hunt is something you both will talk about around many more campfires in elk camp. Thank you for your service it is appreciated more than you will ever know.

@Dpmj 100% using a guide. Not saying we couldn't do a DIY hunt, but we want to know that our efforts will at least get us on some game. We could definitely head out to Wyoming or montana and get lost, but I think we would both prefer a focused hunt. Haha

Time seems to be the essence of this hunt. New Mexico ranch hunt for cow elk. This is a fun hunt.
ANTLERLESS ELK PACKAGE (RIFLE ONLY)
Are you are looking for some lean, healthy meat in the freeze at an affordable price? Than look no further, this is package for you. Our 3 night Antlerless Elk Package is a three-night, two day all-inclusive package. One of or experience elk guides is included! Arrive the night before between 3:00 and 5:00 pm. You will check into your room, visit with your guide, sight in your rifle, have a wonderful meal prepared by one of our cooks, and get ready for your hunt. Hunt two full days on one of the finest ranches in the West. Departure is after breakfast on your third morning. During your stay you can enjoy beautiful accommodations and gourmet meals. Please call for availability of hunts and lodging. This hunt is for an antlerless elk only. Bulls with antlers CANNOT be taken during this hunt. Success Rate on this hunt is right at 100%. Guests are welcome but call for availability. Meals and room charges for Guests are not included in this price.

Express UU Bar Hunt Units, & CS Ranch - American Creek Unit

• Hunt – Nov 4–5
  • Hunt – Nov 9 – 10
  • Hunt – Nov 14 - 15
  • Hunt – Nov 23 – 24 Unit 55B only
  • Hunt – Dec 15 - 16
  • Hunt – Dec 19 - 20
  • Hunt – Dec 28 - 29
  • Hunt – Jan 11 - 12
  • Hunt – Jan 15 - 16
  • Hunt – Jan 19 – 20
  • Hunt – Jan 23 – 24
  • Hunt – Jan 27 – 28
  • Hunt – Jan 31 – Feb 1
$2,750.00 plus tax

SPECIAL:

Buddy Hunt: Book 2 antlerless elk hunts at the same time, one for you and one for your hunting buddy. You and your hunting buddy stay in the same room and use the same guide (2 on 1 hunt), and save $350.00 each. The same dates, accommodations, food, & licenses as above. The hunts MUST be booked at the same time.

$2,400.00 per person plus tax

Just an 74 old hunter that's been hunting all my life. I assure you any cal from 6.5 on up using one of the mono type bullets is very adequate for elk. A stout deep penetrating bullet properly placed means success on elk. Very seldom have I had to take a shot over 200yds. I hunt on my own & pack out the boned meat on my back pack. I have had times where it took me three days to get all the meat out. No big deal. Just put your mind to it & make it happen.

I am also trying to plan a hunt for elk. I am only interested in a trophy. Its the adventure not the kill. I wont care if I take one or not I know I will need an outfitter for the best hunt for me. I'm not getting any younger and know soon I wont be able to do a rough country/ weather hunt. The way I look at it, you get what you pay for....to a certain degree. Now I cant fund a bull hunt on a native reservation for $50,000 but $5000 is do able.
I want to thank all who have given very valuable information for people like me. Your years of experience and willingness to share is priceless to me!

On your caliber question, I would recommend the most hunted caliber in history. The 30-06 which has killed more elk than any other caliber. Backed with a 165 grain bullet of your choice, but I like Nosler.
On a place to hunt for elk. I recommend Colorado. Look up now before the deadline ends. There is lots of public land available with reasonably priced tags. One area I would recommend is Unit 35.
Best of luck

Back in 1893 the Swedes brought out the 6.5x55. It has successfully been bringing down Moose in Scandinavia ever since. Also has been used successfully around the world on major big game. Just prior to 1900 & a hand full of years after " Karamojo Bell" ( Walter Dalrymple Maitland ) took numerous elephants & over ( documented ) 400 head of every size of African plains game with the diminutive 6.5x54 MS. Driving a 160gr FMJ or soft nose bullet at barely 2300fps. He averaged 1 1/2 shots per animal meaning many were taken with one shot. There are other notable 6.5's that have also been stand outs. For some reason US shooters have been very unaware of the capabilities of the 6.5. The rest of the world has been very aware. Talk about one of the most hunted cal's in history the 6.5 sits if not at the top , very close to it. The US shooter is just now becoming aware of it's capabilities.

I was in your position 12 years ago when I relocated to CO from Michigan. I caught the elk bug bad, and still have the disease!!
Sounds like you're already convinced on using an outfitter, which is the correct way to go. You may want to check out Dean Billington of Bull Basin Outfitters (Kremlin,CO). I did my first elk hunt with him and was very happy. He has access to some very large ranches in very good elk country.
If you want to do a cow elk hunt, look at Kiowa Outfitters in Raton, NM. The owner, Tim Barclough, is former NM Fish & Game. I've hunted a lot with him. He does his cow elk hunts on the Vermejo Ranch which is owned by Ted Turner. Big and very healthy elk population. Pretty much 100% success rate for late season cow elk. Whenever I didn't get a bull elk in CO, I'd go down to NM and cow elk hunt with Tim.
Your 30-06 will work great for your hunt, so use it. Honestly, you can never have too much firepower, so use the 338 if you shoot it well.
Feel free to PM if you have any other questions. Good luck

Doug

30-06 with a solid 180gr bullet would be very capable for a 300 yard shot
That combo is what i would use especially of its the lighter of your guns. The 178 eldx is an idea 2. I've found 2 methodes i hunt with in north Idaho. Its thick and steep so i use the lighter shorter guns for a lot. Or I hike in with pack frame and a big gun and lay in the same spot watching and waiting for The other hunters to bump them 2 my zone. Both ways have been successful but i loath heavy guns in thick brush and long long barrels when im not laying there bagged up. To slow, fast has become important here.

Idaho is getting tougher every year. We are getting all the refugees from "cali" and the poor suckers that live near seattle and miss "normal". I pour concrete for a lot of them as they move in and they all want to hunt it seems..which is fine... But i think were going to be in a point system soon if the fish game dont wake up. The wolve tags should be free with purchase of an elk tag. If you hunt here get a wolf tag so you can stuff 1(or 5). I see/hear wolves about 1 in 8 trips out most years.

Being from sw Colorado I will tell you the numbers aren't that great. Numbers of hunters are crazy high. Everyone comes here for the reasons you have seen on this post. Everyone said go to colorado they have good numbers and otc tags.

I see very few elk in rifle season. Maybe I have bad luck I have no idea. But I can never find crap during rifle season. If you come to colorado honestly I'd recommend craig area. The numbers are not doing great in sw Colorado. There was even an article about it this last year I the Denver post I think. They aren't sure why numbers are going down around here.

If it was me I'd look into Montana and Idaho. Just my opinion take it for what it's worth. If I can find the article about the elk numbers by me I'll post it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.