Pickled Deer Heart

Muddyboots

So if you don't heart shoot one, here is recipe that drives my wife nuts. She claims the heart is still beating in fridge soaking in pickling. No she will not eat!!!😂 Serve sliced thin with crackers and sharp cheese! Haven't made in long time and need to do one again.
6A8617B5-8E1D-4FFC-864F-05BF42CC994F.jpeg

Don't forget the tongue!!
Boil with heart, skin and slice.

Gram always just put it on the shelf on top of the kitchen wood stove and it was warm. NO WAY could I leave it alone for a week!!

The heart dish is one of my prize possessions!

If it's not got a hole in it I just cut mine open and cook like a steak. I have had pickled goose hearts and they are good.

Gram always just put it on the shelf on top of the kitchen wood stove and it was warm. NO WAY could I leave it alone for a week!!

We find that the Tongue converses a lot of flavor when cooked in an Instant Pot.
Put in Instant Pot with a cup of water, Red onion and garlic. Put on high for 90 minutes. Take out after pressure is released, peel off outer tongue, cut into strips and serve. Save the outer tongue for making stock.

I know some people love eating Liver. Was fed a lot of it when I was a kid. Probably because it was inexpensive meat. I kind of liked it until I found out that the Liver filters out all the bad stuff from your blood. So, this organ that filters out all the bad stuff in the body we go and eat it?
I don't mind liver but the thought of it is kinda gross. Honestly I just can't bring myself to save that big nasty looking black organ.

I know some people love eating Liver. Was fed a lot of it when I was a kid. Probably because it was inexpensive meat. I kind of liked it until I found out that the Liver filters out all the bad stuff from your blood. So, this organ that filters out all the bad stuff in the body we go and eat it?
The liver neutralizes toxins for removal. It does not store them. If they can't be expelled they are stores in fatty tissue and the nervous system. So you don't get toxins from liver, you get it from a ribeye! 😆😆😆 It is the most nutrient dense meat out there....that's why orcas kill white sharks and eat the liver.

The liver neutralizes toxins for removal. It does not store them. If they can't be expelled they are stores in fatty tissue and the nervous system. So you don't get toxins from liver, you get it from a ribeye! 😆😆😆
Thanks for that info. I just did some research on the liver from animals and it is extremely good for you - some animals better than other.
I'll go back to eating Liver.
Another reason that LRH members helped me out!!!!
Liver & Onions tomorrow night!

Thanks for that info. I just did some research on the liver from animals and it is extremely good for you - some animals better than other.
I'll go back to eating Liver.
Another reason that LRH members helped me out!!!!
Liver & Onions tomorrow night!
Just stay away from the great whites, not worth the risk!

We would gather all the deer and have a butcher do all the deer at our place in one afternoon or evening.. Regular production line for packaging, etc. For all the helpers my Mother would bring out a platter of deer livers They went around once and the platter was empty. She liked the hearts as not many of the others cared for them. Most heart got mixed in with the dog food and the dogs loved them. I would not eat them now a days.