Phoenix smith/machinist recommendations

Shorten the bolt? Not sure what you mean? Or why?

Phoenix Custom Rifles or Axisworks are the two gunsmiths I use in Phoenix (Tempe actually). They have built me 7 rifles altogether so far.

The gap between the rear baffle and the receiver is great enough that the primary extraction can't do it's job. Tried shims, they fall off. Baffle too hard for me to drill, so no screws will work. Silver soldering MIGHT work, but that is hot enough it may anneal the baffle. Could set the barrel back, but that is months out. Shortening the bolt body seems like the easiest, permanent solution. I'm not the first to experience this. He'll, I ain't smart enough to have thought this up. I've read about it from many folks on this site, who I have a degree of trust in, and on other sites as well. Sooo, I'm gonna give it a try. What's the worst that could happen ? Thanks lancetkenyon. I'll post results afterwards.

lol
FIX THE PROBLEM not the symptom.
why is the extractor not working
( that gap is pretty normal)

Ummm....the gap is too wide ?? But seriously, it's never been right, even when I first acquired it ( it left the factory in 30-06 dressing ). The original baffle ramp showed wear on only the last tiny little bit. Rough to cycle, even empty. After I got the build completed,( bought it as a donor action ) I discovered I had been built a rifle with a tight chamber....as in, the bolt wouldn't close on 2/3 of my new, unfired cases. After much head scratching, cussing, etc, I found the top of the belt was hitting the front of the belt relief. Lots of Sharpies used up, I'll tell ya. So, my fix was to lap the bolt. Had to do it twice, in fact, and that got me shooting. However, I did not know nuttin about nuttin, and I had made the extractor problem worse. As I say, I didn't know ANYTHING !!! I thought I had a pressure problem cause I couldn't open the chamber. Not enough ramp. Not too much pressure. Tried shims- and that worked great, but haven't found a glue that will last. More research turned up this idea. Oh yeah....I bought a new bolt handle and baffle-it is .010 THINNER than the original. Made it even worse. It has been an interesting learning curve, tho. Maybe someday, I'll know something. Sorry for the length of this. Any ideas ?

I think I'd contact Savage, but if you have a good smith nearby like the others have posted it wouldn't hurt to ask them what your options are.

Folks, I gotta give kudos to Axisworks in Tempe! They crowded me into their line up, and busted out my little project while I waited! Super nice guys ! Gave me a ten dollar tour of the shop, and the ready room ! Beautiful workmanship, well lit and organized shop, and very fair price, I thought. They are going to do anything I need done ! Best of all, it worked ! Thanks again, Lancetkenyon. Much obliged.

Folks, I gotta give kudos to Axisworks in Tempe! They crowded me into their line up, and busted out my little project while I waited! Super nice guys ! Gave me a ten dollar tour of the shop, and the ready room ! Beautiful workmanship, well lit and organized shop, and very fair price, I thought. They are going to do anything I need done ! Best of all, it worked ! Thanks again, Lancetkenyon. Much obliged.

Eric (axisworks ) is a super great guy. Builds some very accurate Rifles!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.