Peterson Brass flash hole seems to small

RockyRandy

Are flash hole different sizes from large primer verses small primers?
This summer I had a 22 creed built and I ordered 400 rounds of Peterson small primer brass. I full length size all my brass and in the process of loading I bent the de-primming pin so I went and bought a package of pins only to find out they were to big and wouldn't fit through the flash hole so I got on line and ordered SMALL de-primming pins only to find out they are to big also!
I could use some help here please.

Randy

This summer I had a 22 creed built and I ordered 400 rounds of Peterson small primer brass. I full length size all my brass and in the process of loading I bent the de-primming pin so I went and bought a package of pins only to find out they were to big and wouldn't fit through the flash hole so I got on line and ordered SMALL de-primming pins only to find out they are to big also!

Randy
Large and small are different sizes you could drill them out also.( flash hole) https://www.longrangehunting.com/search/762048/?q=Drill+out+flash+hole&o=relevance

Last edited:
I use Lapua small primer pocket brass and the Lyman 7777760 Flash Hole Uniforming Tool fits inside the flash hole just fine.
On Lapua brass all the flash holes I have tried to uniform was useless as all primer pockets were as close to perfect as you can get.
If you have a primer pocket tool just try it and see if it works for you

Randy

I'd check with Peterson before you do anything. Maybe there is a defect in the primer hole size, and maybe not. My Lapua 6.5 Creed SRP primer holes are particularly small. Redding told me that their dies have special small pins to accommodate this.

I use Lapua small primer pocket brass and the Lyman 7777760 Flash Hole Uniforming Tool fits inside the flash hole just fine.
On Lapua brass all the flash holes I have tried to uniform was useless as all primer pockets were as close to perfect as you can get.
If you have a primer pocket tool just try it and see if it works for you
Uniform tool 👍
I do it on all brass

Not everyone will agree with me but keep the small flash holes!!!! I am a firm believer that smaller flash holes channel the flame front better than larger and ends up with slightly more uniform powder ignition and therefore a more accurate round. Not sure I explained that the way I wanted but whatever, I believe smaller flash holes create a more accurate round in general

The Hornady Custom Grade dies I use have three diameter sizes of decapping pins available. I had to buy a small decapping pin for my SRP .308 win Peterson brass. I bought it from Graf and Sons and the pin looks strong with its extra shoulder. Here are the pin dimensions for anybody that might need them. .628" total length/.129" head diameter/.054" pin diameter/.071" shoulder diameter and a link to the part I bought.

After I bought the Hornady decapping pin I also bought the 10 pack of Lyman, they're a little shorter and the pin is a little bigger around but fit the SRP Peterson primer hole perfectly and are a lot cheaper.

Last edited:

Recent Posts