• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Peterson 300 Win Mag "Long" Brass Available

martinakl

8/20/2021 update (9:45AM Mountain): www.grafs.com just called to let me know my backordered (from way back in 2020), Lapua 300 Win Mag brass is in-stock and shipping out today. Be watching to see if they have inventory of that available.
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/87394

"Long" 250 Count Boxes:

"long" 50 Count Boxes:

50 Count Regular Brass (not "long"):

For those too lazy to google: :)
What does 300 Win Mag Long mean?
Pittsburgh, PA (July 20, 2020) – Peterson Cartridge Co. of Pittsburgh, PA announced it is producing .300 Win Mag casings in two versions. Peterson makes the traditional SAAMI spec'd version that headspaces off the belt. But it also makes a version that headspaces off the shoulder. Peterson calls that version the .300 Win Mag- Long.

Last edited:
Now if only someone (Grafs) would actually get a batch of the 7RM! Been waiting on those to actually become available. I think that I have seen a member here that had their hands on some, but not sure if I'm 100% on that or not.

Arghhhh! I kick myself for not picking those up!

I'm guessing that you are on the "cool guy" list that gets that kind of stuff first.

By the way, have you seen any info on if Peterson is going to do a long and Std version of the 7's as well?

Arghhhh! I kick myself for not picking those up!

I'm guessing that you are on the "cool guy" list that gets that kind of stuff first.

By the way, have you seen any info on if Peterson is going to do a long and Std version of the 7's as well?

I just got lucky and saw the 7RM brass at grafs.com one day and picked up 3 boxes. I was going back and forth on picking up a 7RM or a 280AI at the time. I'm on a less is more kick and am pretty much thinking a 22 long rifle and 300 Win Mag are all I need (maybe multiples of each).

I saw a post that someone emailed Peterson about 7RM Long and they said they were NOT going to make it.

I just got lucky and saw the 7RM brass at grafs.com one day and picked up 3 boxes. I was going back and forth on picking up a 7RM or a 280AI at the time. I'm on a less is more kick and am pretty much thinking a 22 long rifle and 300 Win Mag are all I need (maybe multiples of each).

I saw a post that someone emailed Peterson about 7RM Long and they said they were NOT going to make it.
Thanks for the response. I would guess that it takes a good amount of time/money/r&d etc to produce both versions and they figure it may not be worth it (initially) like it was for the 300WM.

On that note, I would bet I'm not the only one (but few) who was initially too impatient to wait for the 300 Longs, so I ordered several hundred of the 300 standards back at the beginning of the year when they were introduced, and have now since ordered another several hundred of the Long version.

Now, having both in my hands, I was planning on conducting some fairly scientific and data driven testing to compare the advantages and overall lifespan on both versions of this brass - given that all will be prepped, annealed, trimmed etc. as close to identically as I can to gain objective information for anyone that is interested.

- I'll still be patiently watching Grafs for the 7's...

Thanks for the response. I would guess that it takes a good amount of time/money/r&d etc to produce both versions and they figure it may not be worth it (initially) like it was for the 300WM.

On that note, I would bet I'm not the only one (but few) who was initially too impatient to wait for the 300 Longs, so I ordered several hundred of the 300 standards back at the beginning of the year when they were introduced, and have now since ordered another several hundred of the Long version.

Now, having both in my hands, I was planning on conducting some fairly scientific and data driven testing to compare the advantages and overall lifespan on both versions of this brass - given that all will be prepped, annealed, trimmed etc. as close to identically as I can to gain objective information for anyone that is interested.

- I'll still be patiently watching Grafs for the 7's...
I'd love to know how much "longer" the cases are, if you can grab that measurement in your testing (regular vs. long)?

I only have their "long" version. I plan on measuring 1x fired vs. unfired cases from my rifle (300 Win, Sako S20) but that probably really only helps me out, as it's very specific to my rifle.

I'd love to know how much "longer" the cases are, if you can grab that measurement in your testing (regular vs. long)?

I only have their "long" version. I plan on measuring 1x fired vs. unfired cases from my rifle (300 Win, Sako S20) but that probably really only helps me out, as it's very specific to my rifle.
I think I saw in writing somewhere that it was supposed to be in the range of .009 to .011" longer. I have 250 virgin cases of each, so I will do some testing to figure out where it's actually at.

I was fortunate enough to grab a bunch of the regulars at the beginning of the year I've been doing different development and work up with the standard length. I still have an additional 250 standard length in the boxes untouched and recently received my longs for the side-by-side comparison.

Will be interesting to see how big of a difference the "long" makes and if it's worth the extra effort for Peterson. In theory it make perfect sense but it begs the question of why wasn't it done it the first place by all manufacturers?? I have 250 of the long brass so I will be watching for your updates.

The long cases I got in the mail a couple days ago still chambered in a factory savage rifle without being sized. The way they were right out of the box.

They were .001" shorter than my fired case in the same rifle.

The long cases I got in the mail a couple days ago still chambered in a factory savage rifle without being sized. The way they were right out of the box.
Same experience with my Sako S20. Smooth and flawless feeding. Only sizing prep I did was a Sinclair expanding mandrel for even neck tension and dent removal.

I was going to try and come up with a estimate of how much stretch I avoided on the first firing using the long vs. regular brass. Not having any of the same brand of the regular version, just knowing the difference between the two makes for some easy math.

Same experience with my Sako S20. Smooth and flawless feeding. Only sizing prep I did was a Sinclair expanding mandrel for even neck tension and dent removal.

I was going to try and come up with a estimate of how much stretch I avoided on the first firing using the long vs. regular brass. Not having any of the same brand of the regular version, just knowing the difference between the two makes for some easy math.
My win brass was growing .018" from new to once fired. And that seems pretty normal from the belted mags my friends and I have messed with. I'm honestly shocked more people don't jamb the lands and fireform belted mags on the first firing of new brass if they buy expensive brass to get the stretch away from the web.

I had three boxes of new ADG brass sitting in my cabinet that I measured the other day. It would have grown .015" on the first firing. I saw the Peterson - Long come available, and picked up three. Had no trouble selling the ADG stuff, and maybe this will give me a few more firings before I have to replace the brass.