Passing of the Torch…

Hello all,
Just wanted to introduce myself. I am the son of Rhett Crider. He was a member on here for quite some time. I would reload with him and we would always talk about his latest builds. Most all I did was load out for my 3 basic rifles. (.243 Model 70, .270 Browning A-Bolt w/ BOSS, and Browning X-Bolt 300 Win Mag.)

For those of you wondering, Rhett lost his battle with cancer this past August. He fought hard, but in the end it was just too much for his body to handle after the surgery. He just couldn't get strong enough to get out of nursing care, so they were never able to get him back on the chemo so the cancer was able to run rampant and finally won out.

So the one silver lining in all of this, I inherited all of the reloading equipment and supplies as well as 75% of his rifle builds, even some of those not started yet.

I have begun going through everything trying to see what he had fully developed and loaded and ready to use, as well as those rifles he was just beginning with. Luckily for me Rhett was pretty meticulous about his notes and such, so it has been relatively painless, but still running into some little surprises along the way ;-)

Like father - like son, I also really enjoy the reloading process and it has been a lot of fun going to the range and shooting some of the development loads he did. Then taking all the notes he would talk about taking to see what steps needed to be taken next.

I am looking forward to being on the forum and reading/discussing all the long range hunting and load development threads. I have an adjusted goal in life now after my dad's passing... I've always wanted to go on an Elk or Caribou hunt and take something from at least 300 yards out, but now I want to do it using one of my fathers rifle builds.

If you've made it this far into the post I would assume you probably knew, or interacted with my father, so thank you for that, he always talked highly about this forum in particular and really enjoyed everyone on here.

Looking forward to the process.
Ashley Crider (Old Man Crider). …yes he named me Ashley.

P.S. I am attaching some of the targets from his 338 Lapua. (He was always afraid of the recoil, so he never shot it.). I had to dial in the scope as he only had a rough bore site on it. 13 MOA high and 3 MOA to the right @ 100yds.

Attachments

• IMG_3745.jpeg
    IMG_3745.jpeg
    215 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3744.jpeg
    IMG_3744.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3743.jpeg
    IMG_3743.jpeg
    216.9 KB · Views: 35
Welcome Ash, sorry to hear of your fathers passing , he will be sorely missed, hope you find comfort and pleasure in this forum much like your dad did, never to late to make new hunting goals, just decide that's what you want and do it, Merry Christmas and good luck with all your endevors.

Yes Welcome you are Ashley , Condolences about your Father and I'm sure he's very proud of you . Wonderful that you picked up that torch , WE are happy you're here ,& thks for that caring introduction 👏😉👏, Wishing you and Family a Merry joyous Christmas. Enjoy and Prosper!!! Cheers

Hello all,
Just wanted to introduce myself. I am the son of Rhett Crider. He was a member on here for quite some time. I would reload with him and we would always talk about his latest builds. Most all I did was load out for my 3 basic rifles. (.243 Model 70, .270 Browning A-Bolt w/ BOSS, and Browning X-Bolt 300 Win Mag.)

For those of you wondering, Rhett lost his battle with cancer this past August. He fought hard, but in the end it was just too much for his body to handle after the surgery. He just couldn't get strong enough to get out of nursing care, so they were never able to get him back on the chemo so the cancer was able to run rampant and finally won out.

So the one silver lining in all of this, I inherited all of the reloading equipment and supplies as well as 75% of his rifle builds, even some of those not started yet.

I have begun going through everything trying to see what he had fully developed and loaded and ready to use, as well as those rifles he was just beginning with. Luckily for me Rhett was pretty meticulous about his notes and such, so it has been relatively painless, but still running into some little surprises along the way ;-)

Like father - like son, I also really enjoy the reloading process and it has been a lot of fun going to the range and shooting some of the development loads he did. Then taking all the notes he would talk about taking to see what steps needed to be taken next.

I am looking forward to being on the forum and reading/discussing all the long range hunting and load development threads. I have an adjusted goal in life now after my dad's passing... I've always wanted to go on an Elk or Caribou hunt and take something from at least 300 yards out, but now I want to do it using one of my fathers rifle builds.

If you've made it this far into the post I would assume you probably knew, or interacted with my father, so thank you for that, he always talked highly about this forum in particular and really enjoyed everyone on here.

P.S. I am attaching some of the targets from his 338 Lapua. (He was always afraid of the recoil, so he never shot it.). I had to dial in the scope as he only had a rough bore site on it. 13 MOA high and 3 MOA to the right @ 100yds.
First off welcome to the forum. Secondly, I'm so sad to hear the news of your father, He's helped me several times he will be missed. I think it's awesome that you are following in his footsteps and I will be watching you and help you whenever I can!

Hello all,

Ashley
Sorry for your loss and the loss for the rest of us on LRH
Our condolences.
I knew your Dad-Rhett. Great person and was wondering why he has not responded.
If you need help with anything please contact us.
God Bless you and your family
Len & Jill

Ashley, I actually haven't been on here in a while and am so glad to see you join us. I live in Conroe and was a friend of your dad. We traded reloading supplies and a lot of stories and may have had a beer or two together! You can probably blame me for the last two rifles he had made😆 Please let me know if I can ever help with your reloading exploits or any questions you may have.