Ouch this gun hurts! Opinions??

d_wit22

So I have a Vanguard in .300 WBY. Took it to the range today to get it ready for an elk hunt next year and let me tell you what. She HURTS!! 5 shots and I said that's enough. So looking for options. What can I do to this gun to make the recoil less? Should I just sell and buy an easier on the shoulder elk gun? What do you guys think?

I don't know anything about the Vanguard series of rifles, but what type of recoil pad, what does the rifle weigh, and if shooting from the bench….are you sitting straight up or nearly so. A good deal of lean into the rifle can/will increase "felt" recoil.

And, does the rifle fit you properly? The length of pull can affect "felt" recoil. If the stock has been cut to better fit you…..was the stock angle at the butt altered? If so, that can affect felt recoil……usually, not for the better.

The 300 Weatherby while having a bit of recoil……shouldn't be as bad as you describe!

Addendum: A properly fitting rifle with a good recoil pad will help a lot. Also, when shooting from the bench, a PAST Recoil Shield or similar will help a great deal.

Personally speaking, I'd avoid the brake on a hunting rifle……but, that's just me! memtb

Last edited:
When hunting with a brake do you all use hearing protection?
My style I'd never have time.
Absolutely never shoot a braked gun without hearing protection. One shot will damage your hearing, no joke.

I wear the ones with the foam plugs on a plastic band around my neck. I can toss them on super quick. And they work well.

So I have a Vanguard in .300 WBY. Took it to the range today to get it ready for an elk hunt next year and let me tell you what. She HURTS!! 5 shots and I said that's enough. So looking for options. What can I do to this gun to make the recoil less? Should I just sell and buy an easier on the shoulder elk gun? What do you guys think?
Put a good recoil pad on it if it doesn't have one. I have had a couple of limbsavers that made a big difference. Adding a brake is an option too - but they are loud! I was shooting my braked 300 prc today and 2 gents from the next range came to ask me what I was shooting because it was so loud…

I double ear protection at the range and use hearing protection while hunting. Consider a suppressor if legal where you are, but a 300 Wby is a heavy recoiling cartridge.