Optics system for new 7mm Predator?

7mmpredator

I'm looking for an optics solution for a new custom LR hunting rig. The 7wsm is built on a Stiller Predator action, Broughton 5C barrel, Rifle Basics trigger, Badger rail/rings/bottom metal and brake, McMillan A5 stock in GAs camo. Its the best shootin rig I ever owned and is currently wearing a Leupold V3 6.5-20x50 varmint reticle borrowed from my Cooper Phx 6.5-284.

With so many options available: Hollands ART reticle, Huskemaw (simplicity), NF with moa reticle, turrets from Kenton on another 6.5-20x50 its not an easy decision. Then there is always the Kestral and PDA for real time conditions!

That being said I'm thinking long range for me will probably be in the 600yd range. I plan to try 600 yd F-class in the spring to get my bearings. I use a Swarovski rangefinder so I'm leaning towards a custom turret marked in yards.

What say the masses? gun)

Its just personal choice. As long as you understand the fundamentals and take care of them, it does not matter whether you have custom knobs in yards, mildots, custom ART, homemade or FFP or SFP. My only advice is to settle in on one system and get used to it. You will nearly always have about a 2.0 MOA target and will have a rifle capable of 0.5 MOA.

I would recommend a Nightforce 5.5-22x50mm with the NPR1 reticle or the MLR with Mil-RAD turrets. Leupold would be a good way to go also if you would like to reduce the cost and weight.

We stock Nightforce, Leupold and much more.

If you can push the fund I would recommend looking at an S&B or USO.

Mike @ CSGW

Point well taken. Would you find it prudent to have ranging capabilities in the reticle as a back up and at what approximate range would you say angle cosine and wind meters are essential?

Thanks

CS

Your reading my mind! NF NPR1. The rig weighs 14+ with the Leup so weight saving is not an issue. I would love to take it to WY for elk this fall if I get drawn. The horse probably won't object! I'm real anal though so whatever I go with I will learn it by rote.

Having a ranging reticle is very nice to have even if you are not using it for a ranging. They work great for holdover shots.

An Angle Indicator are nice to have it can mean a hit or miss. If you are not good at reading the wind then a Wind Meters is nice to have. I use one but I use it more for altitude and temp.

Mike @ CSGW

You are pretty much confirming sound judgement I figured I would go with anyway. A second opinion sometimes seals the deal. Thanks. I may still get Kenton turrets for my Cooper Phoenix 6.5-284 in yards for the load and 140 Bergers I'll use for antelope and mulies out to 500 or 600. This should keep me busy into the spring!

Thanks for your input. gun)

My wife calls me the gadget master because she claims no matter what I am up to I have a gadget made for the occasion. When I bought a stud finder she started calling me "stud muffin pro". I can't wait for the barrage when I buy a Kestral, Angle Cosine and ballistic software!

She'll start every sentence with, "the empirical data....."

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts