Opinions on crown angle?

MagnumManiac

G'day all,
For the past few years all of my builds I have moved to a 13° crown after using 11° crowns on everything 30 cal and larger.
So, what are your thoughts on this?
As I am only using specialty VLD style bullet heals, I feel this makes a difference to bullet release and buffering from powder gases.

Any discussion welcomed.

Cheers.

15° looks about right
artworks-000089152174-jp58n3-t500x500.jpg

I'm not sure crowns make that much difference. I read a magazine article once where a guy intentionally buggered up a crown after shooting the barrel for accuracy to get a starting point. After a few bad shots knocking the burrs off at the muzzle the accuracy returned to normal.
I'm not saying to bang the muzzle with a rock and call it. Just saying a good load and some semblance of a decent crown should be enough. I do like a bit of a false muzzle for the rifle to set on in the truck though to keep things out. Even a tenth of an inch at the outside, then a step to the crown works well.

Looking at the muzzle I doubt that there is anything magic about the angle. From an engineering viewpoint the most import job for the muzzle crown is to be as perpendicular to the bore centerline as possible so that the gasses do not impart a yawing moment to the bullet. Beyond that the recess protects the muzzle from damage.

Did see this.

Opinion is that crown protection is more important than the physical degree of the crown. So for that, a recessed crown would be a good way to solve that. If it was measurable in accuracy I'm sure somebody would have hit that nail home by now. I don't mean on here, I mean in the professional realm.

I like to put a 30deg bevel on a flat crown. I feel like it protects the crown from cleaning rod damage, especially on the big magnums that get cleaned every 20-30rds.

If the barrel is indicated correctly I don't believe the angle matters as long as it is square to the bore and burr free.

I build guns that routinely shoot in the .1s and .2s with this type of crown.

I'm not sure crowns make that much difference. I read a magazine article once where a guy intentionally buggered up a crown after shooting the barrel for accuracy to get a starting point. After a few bad shots knocking the burrs off at the muzzle the accuracy returned to normal.
I'm not saying to bang the muzzle with a rock and call it. Just saying a good load and some semblance of a decent crown should be enough. I do like a bit of a false muzzle for the rifle to set on in the truck though to keep things out. Even a tenth of an inch at the outside, then a step to the crown works well.
Read the same article in Shooting Times, did I believe it, no, same writer then buggered up bullet noses and shot for accuracy no further than 200 saying it made no difference.

I am still on the fence with this, have used flat crowns, differing angles to cut recesses and haven't found the sweet spot yet.

Cheers.

Recent Posts