Oooh look, another rabbit hole!!!

LkeAF

Very new to the muzzleloader world. My dad always had one and hunted with it, but I don't think I even shot it as a kid. I'm now looking at a muzzleloader hunt in Idaho this year and wanting to get the nicest (Idaho legal) one that I can afford. Idaho has what seem to me like some pretty strict regulations for ML's, some of which I don't even understand (screenshot of regs below). Can anyone point me in the right direction for (A) an education about Muzzleloaders, and (B) brands/models that folks have had good accuracy with? I would like to find a gun that I could feel confident hitting a 5" target out to 200-300 yds if that is feasible.

Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 4.58.41 PM.png

So the rules seems pretty clear. It's a primitive traditional muzzle loader hunt. No long range smokeless powder rifle, no scopes, uses percussion caps like a number 11 CCI cap, exposed nipple, no bolt actions.
Think Hawken style using synthetic or black powder, no pellet style powder, uses cast slug, tipped solids or patched round ball in a slow twist ( like 1: 72 for round ball) for best stability. Faster twist for conical loads.
Range for these with open or peep is probably maxed at 150 yards. 200- to 300 yards is not realistic here.

I read the rules to allow for a bolt action, but it has to allow for you to see the cap when cocked. My old Remington 700 ML would be legal. Open sights, shoots 777 loose powder with #11 cap, and power belt bullets. I had it shooting well to 250 yards before I went smokeless. My old 700 could be for sale if you have interest, but from what I read, it would be legal and a good option. PM me if you need more details. It has a weather shield on the end of the bolt that is plastic, that would have to be removed to shoot in Idaho, but it just pops off the bolt by hand.

Very new to the muzzleloader world. My dad always had one and hunted with it, but I don't think I even shot it as a kid. I'm now looking at a muzzleloader hunt in Idaho this year and wanting to get the nicest (Idaho legal) one that I can afford. Idaho has what seem to me like some pretty strict regulations for ML's, some of which I don't even understand (screenshot of regs below). Can anyone point me in the right direction for (A) an education about Muzzleloaders, and (B) brands/models that folks have had good accuracy with? I would like to find a gun that I could feel confident hitting a 5" target out to 200-300 yds if that is feasible.

View attachment 581688
@Deputy819

Cva has a "NW legal breach plug" to convert almost any of their ml's to "exposed percussion cap" iirc

It sounds like slugs like the bore-lok, powerbelt, and hornadays new high bc bullet might still be legal as they just have a separating plastic base but you'd have to check to make sure. Lots of copper mono's available if you want that route.

Practice with open sights A LOT!

So the rules seems pretty clear. It's a primitive traditional muzzle loader hunt. No long range smokeless powder rifle, no scopes, uses percussion caps like a number 11 CCI cap, exposed nipple, no bolt actions.
Think Hawken style using synthetic or black powder, no pellet style powder, uses cast slug, tipped solids or patched round ball in a slow twist ( like 1: 72 for round ball) for best stability. Faster twist for conical loads.
Range for these with open or peep is probably maxed at 150 yards. 200- to 300 yards is not realistic here.
What Bob said

What specific part of the regulations are you confused about?

Idaho's regulations now align with other northwestern states. They previously only permitted solid lead projectiles, but changed that this year.

I'd go with a CVA Accura or Optima northwest legal model with Williams northwest precision sights. 300yd in field conditions is going to be a very tough shot, but 200 should be achievable.

While not expressly prohibited, you won't be able to use Blackhorn 209. It doesn't light well with traditional caps, so the legal prohibition on 209 primers becomes a practical prohibition on 209 powder.

I’m using a cva optima which almost fit your requirements until I saw no 209 primers, that seems harsh but each state is different. And I thought Colorado was bad.
Yeah, Idaho is pretty tight on any new technology. They're the same with archery rules. I don't mind it too much, just trying to understand it. I'm just excited to be out there. If I get to take shot, that's icing on the cake!