NXS or Razor LHT

Once again, if you want a scope that works don't buy a Vortex. If you want a cheap scope that has decent glass, great warranty and doesn't work correctly buy a Vortex.
I guess things haven't changed much. In all likely-hood, I may have favored the NXS, but wondered if Vortex had improved in the last several years. That's why I ask here. Alot of wonderful people willing to freely share both knowledge and experience.

I've had pretty good luck with 'made in Japan' Vortex scopes. Between the original Razor LH and the newer LHT I've owned 6 or 7.

I still have a couple of the older LH models, but switched over to mostly Bushnell LRHS and LRTS. (also made in Japan). Mostly because I prefer the
-reticle,
-turret,
-depth of field (set and forget parallax for the most part)
-zoom (the Bushys are smooth, LHTs are really stiff and require a throw lever IME)

Look up Light Optical Works - they make scopes for Vortex and Bushnell

They also make scopes (and parts) for Nightforce.

One of the things you pay for with NF is QC. To my understanding, they actually test every single optic before it leaves.

I think one of the reasons NF has the reputation they do is that due to rigorous QC, they fail their scopes BEFORE they get out into the wild.

To add to the confusion, some experts drop their rigs and say NF is solid and Vortex doesn't hold zero, while others who use a frozen scope as a reference think Vortex actually holds a more precise zero.

Personally I'd go for the 2.5-10x42 MOAR, but I prefer Mils and don't like the mil reticle 🤣🤷‍♂️

I guess things haven't changed much. In all likely-hood, I may have favored the NXS, but wondered if Vortex had improved in the last several years. That's why I ask here. Alot of wonderful people willing to freely share both knowledge and experience.
I would look at Steiner & Tract Toric. Steiner Predator 4 is a light weight scope. i have a Trijicon Huron. Really decent glass for the money.

Last edited:
NXS for me - the LHT line is something I've never really been wowed by. I don't love the locking turrets and the illumination button seems very cheap.

For this specified use, I'd choose the 2.5-15x42 Credo HX. The glass is quite good, it weighs 23 ounces, and has a versatile magnification range. The turrets aren't fabulous, but they certainly work well enough. I don't expect ATACR-level turrets on an optic at roughly half the price.

It's probably still available from EuroOptic for under $900. The remainder of the funds can go towards reloading components.

Between the two options mentioned in the original post, I'd definitely choose the NXS. I expect to get one sometime within the next year.

Last edited:
I have both of the scopes in the OP. I love them both.
The turrets in the LHT are soft, but have been repeatable. The reticle is very simple and fast and good to 500 yards. The lit dot is great for drives on moving targets and also very nice on bears in the evening. The glass is good to my eyes. for a set it and forget it they are great.
The NXS in the 2.5-10x42 may be my favorite all-time hunting scope. Decent glass, parallax adjustment in a 2.5-10, light and well balanced, still bomb proof with good turrets and a very functional reticle. The Illum is a bit much, and while there are much more expensive scopes, they aren't giving these away.
Both scopes have a good eye-box and are easy to get up and on target quickly. If your going to dial a bunch get the NF for sure, if not the additional magnification, lower price, and great reticle makes the LHT a good option.

Once again, if you want a scope that works don't buy a Vortex. If you want a cheap scope that has decent glass, great warranty and doesn't work correctly buy a Vortex.
Have ran over 20 vortex scopes, never an issue. I have seen others mash the tube with over spec torque, and blowing one out in lead sled and an aggressive rifle and brake but that gun also took apart everything put on it but a NF.

Looking for a scope for my "short range" 308 Winchester. Main use will be from deer drives to 300 yards stand hunting, and possibly/occasionally out to 500 yards. Rifle is BAT Igniter action, Triggertech Special, AG Composites Alpine Hunter, 20" Bartlein 10tw barrel, and Hawkins bottom metal w/Wyatt's Baney Box.

Trying to stay under 2K, keep low mag near 2x, weight around 20oz, prefer MOA reticle. Considered a LPVO but most are either too heavy or expensive (or have something I personally dislike). Also not a fan of Leupold"s in this range for various reasons. Considered the Trijicon Credo, but it's MRAD (from what I've seen available).

The two scopes that seem to check most of my boxes are the NXS 2.5-10x42 and the Razor HD LHT 3-15x42. Wondering if anyone has any experience with both. Open to some other options I may have missed.

Thanks in advance!
Sourcing the NXS might be an issue if timing is of any concern. My last conversation with them earlier this year, was told that their contracts are taking up so much of their capacity that NXS just isn't getting as much run time so expect greater than 12 months on the lead times unless you find one used.

Sourcing the NXS might be an issue if timing is of any concern. My last conversation with them earlier this year, was told that their contracts are taking up so much of their capacity that NXS just isn't getting as much run time so expect greater than 12 months on the lead times unless you find one used.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check into their availability. Can always put one of my other scopes on in the meantime if that's the route I choose.

I would look at Steiner & Tract Toric. Steiner Predator 4 is a light weight scope. i have a Trijicon Huron. Really decent glass for the money.

Attachments

• IMG_7090.jpeg
    IMG_7090.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 37
Looking for a scope for my "short range" 308 Winchester. Main use will be from deer drives to 300 yards stand hunting, and possibly/occasionally out to 500 yards. Rifle is BAT Igniter action, Triggertech Special, AG Composites Alpine Hunter, 20" Bartlein 10tw barrel, and Hawkins bottom metal w/Wyatt's Baney Box.

Trying to stay under 2K, keep low mag near 2x, weight around 20oz, prefer MOA reticle. Considered a LPVO but most are either too heavy or expensive (or have something I personally dislike). Also not a fan of Leupold"s in this range for various reasons. Considered the Trijicon Credo, but it's MRAD (from what I've seen available).

The two scopes that seem to check most of my boxes are the NXS 2.5-10x42 and the Razor HD LHT 3-15x42. Wondering if anyone has any experience with both. Open to some other options I may have missed.

Thanks in advance!
Recently picked up a 16x Zeiss with custom turrets from Kenton industry's. Right around $1000.