NRL Hunter AAR

7milpill

Just wanted to give my take on the NRL Hunter series. I competed in the skills division just to get an idea of how the matches are run and to access my gear for this type of match. I ran a 280 Ackley Imp, 168gr bergers @2950fps, Vortex 5-25 PST gen 2, Mcmillian game scout, Wyatt's DBM (5rnd mags) harris bipod, slik tripod, Wiebad fortune cookie heavy fill bag, gunwerks BR2 rangefinder, no binos (I did not want to carry the extra weight or another piece of gear) This is exactly what I hunt with, except I do use binos when hunting.

1). what I first noticed was this looked like a gear race. While there were some guys running gear like mine there were very few. Most of the rifles looked like PRS set ups. Not saying you couldn't hunt with them or they don't but most likely they were purpose built for competition. The caliber of choice was 6.5 creed. This would make the minimum power factor, and have the least recoil. For the skills div, you could shoot whatever, no power factor requirement.

2). The prize table was awesome. Rifles, actions, barrels, stocks, scopes, range finders, binocular…etc. I was truly impressed with what the sponsors donated.

3). The course was challenging . Especially for just using my 7x range finder. There were a few smaller targets I could not find in time. 10x range finding binoculars are definitely an advantage for this match.

4). The Harris bipod was not tall enough for some of the stages. A lot of guys/gals running the ckye-pods and it is a great piece of kit and gives you a lot of position options. The downside is the price. $600-$900 depending on the model.

5). A tripod is another necessity. There were some stages you had to shoot standing or high kneeling.

Overall is was a good experience. My advice for first timers is make sure to practice finding and ranging targets, shooting to different distances and positions and use a timer. You would be surprised how much time you can use ranging targets. What I am noticing the same 6-10 guys are winning the matches. From what I can tell they are mid to top PRS competitors and very good shooters. If you really want to be competitive you need to practice and have the right gear.

My gear upgrades wish list:
1) taller bipods
2) range finding binos
3) 10 round mag.
4) area 419 muzzle break to reduce the recoil for spotting impacts/misses
5) more stable tripod with tac table

keep in mind this is my opinion based on my experience. This is mainly for the first timers who are wondering……

Great info, considering shooting a few myself. As far as taller bipod, are you thinking a Harris that can be used from a sitting position?
A 2 pull ckye-pod would be optimal for its adjustability 4"-18" but the cost is the problem. I used a 6-9" and never used anything less than 9", and it wasn't enough for several stages. I think the taller Harris would work unless there was a stage where you need a low height.

A 2 pull ckye-pod would be optimal for its adjustability 4"-18" but the cost is the problem. I used a 6-9" and never used anything less than 9", and it wasn't enough for several stages. I think the taller Harris would work unless there was a stage where you need a low height.
I am deciding between the ckye-pod and accu-tac SR5 gen 2

My 6.5x284 is setup with a 9-13 Harris and also a Spartan gunsmith mount for my modified Spartan light with 22" legs. Both of the bipods your considering look like they'd be the ticket, I like the looks of the MDT ckye. I lack a quality tripod,

My 6.5x284 is setup with a 9-13 Harris and also a Spartan gunsmith mount for my modified Spartan light with 22" legs. Both of the bipods your considering look like they'd be the ticket, I like the looks of the MDT ckye. I lack a quality tripod,
If you are a NRL member, they have tripods and other equipment in their loaner program. There are a couple matches coming up soon in MT.