Note keeping Tips?

Ryeguy

Anyone care to share how they keep their notes organized for reloading, steps, components, fired rounds, recipes, data, etc? I just started taking notes and already it's kinda a cluster. I'll be redoing my notes soon in an organized effort in a new notebook and thought I'd ask others what's worked for them?

Thanks

I recently got a 3 ring binder for each rifle. Serial number and modifications are listed on the inside cover. Loads are listed with all pertinent data such as recipe, velocity, COAL, jump to rifling etc. Document protectors hold targets for future reference. I should just enter all of this into a computer.

Anyone care to share how they keep their notes organized for reloading, steps, components, fired rounds, recipes, data, etc? I just started taking notes and already it's kinda a cluster. I'll be redoing my notes soon in an organized effort in a new notebook and thought I'd ask others what's worked for them?

Thanks
I use Excel spreadsheets. Excel is a powerful tool but very underutilized. You don't need it, but you can create thousands of cells/columns to track whatever attribute you want to track, filter, sort, etc. Create tabs for all the cartridges you load. I have ~30, so it comes in very handy.

Last edited:
My notes have evolved over time, but since I have realized that brass, too changes over time, I've tried to get better at documenting.

New brass: Measure
Case head just above the rim or belt
Shoulder/ headspace length
Shoulder diameter
Neck diameter
Case OAL

After firing each time take same measurements.

I have a file folder for each cartridge I load for, I keep the SAAMMI cartridge/ chamber drawing in there, any load data I have printed out, and load data I have used, targets I have kept.

Now that I am loading for multiple rifles shooting the same cartridge for myself, my wife, and my son- if I started over I would use a composition notebook for each rifle to make it easier to keep everything separate for each rifle.

Sam Millard of Panhandle Precision has a YouTube channel, he has a great series of videos that goes over his reloading and notetaking/ documentation process. Worth a watch.

With a new barrel I do a base to ogive measurement to the lands with preferred bullet, to help measure throat erosion .

Basically the more data collected from load work, weather conditions, rounds since last cleaning, the clearer picture you will have of what's happening with your rifle.

I use excel with templates set up for OCW, ladder and seating depth testing. I "borrowed" them from someone here and modified to make them my own. Since I cannot attach excel documents here, I've attached pdf versions. I also maintain spreadsheets to track round count and case dimensions. All this data is duplicated in a hard copy load book which I take notes at the range. When I return from the range, I update the electronic spreadsheet and placed printed copies along with targets in a 3-ring binder.

Attachments

• OCW.pdf
    388.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Ladder Test.pdf
    327.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Seating Depth.pdf
    340.7 KB · Views: 36
This is probably my greatest weakness in my reloading and shooting. I am extremely unorganized, and even though I love journaling, I have never been good at logging load data. Once I have a load that works, I print it out with my label maker and stick it on my ammo box. Then that load stays there until I find a better one.

I'd love to be excel organized, or even a reloading journal. Maybe one day I will be, but I doubt it. I also only need to be minute of deer, so as long as my groups are sub-moa in these Arkansas hills, I can still take headshots and be good.

Small pocket-size spiral notebook.

I keep all rifle data, brass data, bullet data, testing data for charge weight and seating depth tests, final load data, and round count by date in the back.
I keep all the stuff Lance mentions above in an Excel spreadsheet like FEENIX does. Have one for each rifle. About the only difficult thing to do this way is keeps pics of the actual target. It can be done but it's a hassle. Can go back and easily look at load data from years gone by though. Use Google Docs and you can have it on your phone.