Noslers Partitions

sealer

Nosler Partition 30 cal. 180 gr. SP p/n 16331
Nosler Partition 30 cal. 180 gr. PPT p/n 25395
Are the only differences in these two bullets just the tip, the OAL, and the B.C. ?
Thanks, Dennis

Not that any animals chest cavity would ever notice, the pp is a little more pointed than the other which is somewhat rounded.

Are the only differences in these two bullets just the tip, the OAL, and the B.C. ?
Thanks, Dennis

I shoot the 180gr Spitzer and this may explain little on BC and this is from Sierra.

There are at least three ways to describe the BC. First, it is widely recognized as a figure of merit for a bullet's ballistic efficiency. That is, if a bullet has a high BC, then it will retain its velocity better as it flies downrange from the muzzle, will resist the wind better, and will "shoot flatter." But this description is qualitative, rather than quantitative. For example, if we compare two bullets and one has a BC 25% higher than the other, how much is the improvement in bullet ballistic performance? This question can be answered only by calculating the trajectories for the two bullets and then comparing velocity, wind deflection, and drop or bullet path height versus range from the muzzle.

I've never shot the 180gr PPT to compare but other calibers, I've always used SP partition.

Actually the SP is the spitzer, the PPT is the "Protected Tip", basically a flat meplat. This bullet works well in short magazines ( i.e. I had to use it in a Mod 70 FWT in 300WM) It is debatable if the spitzer flies flatter as some say the lead tip melts off anyway. I never worried about it as (1) I don't shoot at game past 400yds, average around 250yds, and (2) many believe the BC is more dependent upon the ogive shape rather than the tip. Rule of thumb seems to be use a spitzer for long range, of any make. Have a ball sir!

sealer, I have a box with the flat tip from a trade. I use them for barrel break-in and to get friend's scopes on paper till they're gone. Seem to shoot OK.

Thanks, Dennis

Rev Jim has good point on short yardage. One reason I never compare those two partition and if you shot them equal velocity the higher BC @ 100yds will be faster and have more energy and be same if you go out to 1000yds. Those 2 bullets have been listed in Nosler manual since 1976.

I use the 180 gr protected points in my 300 Win Mag X-Bolt. Unless you are shooting well past 300 or 400 yards, I doubt you will notice much difference between the two bullets. The PPT's flat point works well in my X-Bolt's magazine and doesn't deform with recoil. I load them with a slightly longer OAL (than SAMI specs) which my rifle likes.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.