Non-resident license fees.

You need to get on the podcast ELK TALK With Randy Newberg and Corey Jacobson, and listen to them talk about what is going on with out of state tags and how a-lot of the decisions that are being made are not made by Fish & game but by someone who has a-lot of money that has a buddy the is a senator or congressmen that pushes the bill through.

In Wyoming the legislature and the governor are the ones that control the price's of license's. They contribute nothing from the general fund yet they control the funds that are generally generated by license sales.
This structure puts politics at the fore front of pricing. Wyomings citizens are so adverse to taxing themselves it is almost impossible for the legislature to increase fees and taxes. Non resident fees are another thing, non resident's cant vote here.

Here if you want to camp on Federal land you have always had to buy a duck stamp for entry. All we have is Fed Wildlife refuges. I heard that has recently changed though. As for Non-residents we charge those from States that touch us what they charge non-residents. We have set fees for those that don't. Sorta fair, and while we don't have the opportunities that some States have we have some they don't so I guess that is fair. Big Game tags historically have been fairly priced in Canada. However, they are no bargain because you must book with an outfitter to hunt. Pretty much if you want to kill an elk or moose cheaply you have to live where they do. I would be perfectly happy if we just had mule deer instead of whitetails. I always thought they tasted so much better..... Maybe they taste better because they are harder to come by????
I live in idaho and I think whitetail taste much better than mule deer. You may be the first person I have heard of that prefers to eat mule deer over whitetail.

I live in idaho and I think whitetail taste much better than mule deer. You may be the first person I have heard of that prefers to eat mule deer over whitetail.
a lot of the taste just depends on the deers diet. if the MD strictly eat safebrush and twigs they sure taste like it. most whitetails eat grasses more than twigs. but the MD that eat in the alfalfa fields or grain fields do taste nice.

our home typically prefers the WT meat, but occasionally the MD meat will surprise us!! 😁

Idaho's Fish and Game Department (big game management) does not receive any tax dollars and is self-funded except for the occasional grant. If we didn't charge more....a lot more, we'd be overrun with even more californicans. The woods, trails, back roads, ridges and camping spots are already crowded enough. It's madening not being able to find a camping spot anymore. When I was a kid, I rarely saw anyone (70's and 80's). Now, half of the auto plates are either from warshington or californica. I wish the fees were even higher.
To expand on your point - In order to address the concerns of Idaho citizens IDFG and UI held meetings and sent numerous questionnaires over a period of years to folks with hunting and fishing licenses. That resulted in an undeniable realization that our greatest concern was the degradation of the hunting experience and in some cases opportunities. In response NR fees were raised considerably. Limits for NR tags in most draw areas were also instituted. A couple points:
1) Idaho has no points system so citizens had to
compete directly with NR sportsmen for draw
tags in their own back yard.
2) Anyone can move here anytime they like. If
they value the outdoor opportunities more
than the much higher income they likely enjoy
where they currently reside it's an option.
3) Keeping NR hunters at reasonable numbers
IS the point, take your dollars elsewhere if
you are inclined. I'd bet if you lived here you
would better understand this position.
I'm not wholly unsympathetic to those that want to experience other opportunities. I do as well. I do get peeved by folks that can buy away my hunting opportunities though. As with all other States it's not just a place, it's someone's home and heritage.

To expand on your point - In order to address the concerns of Idaho citizens IDFG and UI held meetings and sent numerous questionnaires over a period of years to folks with hunting and fishing licenses. That resulted in an undeniable realization that our greatest concern was the degradation of the hunting experience and in some cases opportunities. In response NR fees were raised considerably. Limits for NR tags in most draw areas were also instituted. A couple points:
1) Idaho has no points system so citizens had to
compete directly with NR sportsmen for draw
tags in their own back yard.
2) Anyone can move here anytime they like. If
they value the outdoor opportunities more
than the much higher income they likely enjoy
where they currently reside it's an option.
3) Keeping NR hunters at reasonable numbers
IS the point, take your dollars elsewhere if
you are inclined. I'd bet if you lived here you
would better understand this position.
I'm not wholly unsympathetic to those that want to experience other opportunities. I do as well. I do get peeved by folks that can buy away my hunting opportunities though. As with all other States it's not just a place, it's someone's home and heritage.
This is interesting. --- https://fishandgame.idaho.gov/ifwis/huntPlanner/stats/?season=general&game=deer&yr=2021 --- I'd like to plot it out, but from just looking at it it appears the units with the most hunters have the greater hunter success. A notable exception is Unit 39 which is immediately adjacent to Boise, so more hunters having less success is understandable. I suspect more hunters having greater success is much like fishing - fishermen go where the fish are. Apparently, there's a choice to be made. If you want meat on the table, your chances are best if you go where the hunters are. But if you want the experience of hunting undistracted by other hunters, go where they aren't. Another interesting statistic is it appears that in general, hunters using muzzleloaders have very good success.
EDIT: Here's the plot.
2022-04-02 13_59_57-Window.png

Last edited:
As a resident of Wyoming for 46 years. I am happy for the 90/10 decision made. The WY G& F will lose money in license sales to Non-residents - thats O.K. The state just needs to manage the money better. The WY G & F just got done having the season setting dates for the upcoming 2022 season. In the NW region they put on more days at the end of the deer season - bad idea. A large percentage of the deer are harvested in the last 5 days of season on a GENERAL tag. Our deer herds are hurting and the elk (ungulates in general) numbers have never recovered from the wolf introduction in 1995. I used to hunt Montana (DIY) with horses from 1986-2007 and felt like the $750 tag was the cheapest part of my vacation. We are trying to put a value on our wildlife so please try and understand. I am now a hunter of the large predators with focus on mountain lions, wolves, black bears and hopefully grizzlies some day. Non - residents - please save up your money and apply to Wyoming and hopefully we can see you every other year if this management program works. P.S. I have not harvested a mule deer in NW Wyoming in a long time now due to mis management of this resource.

Here in NM the cattlemen usually run the G&F commission. Landowners get tags based on their acreage and game use. My understanding is that they sell those tags to outfitters for around $5,000. The outfitter adds another $5,000 or so to that. I last drew an antelope tag in 1990. I don't want the competition with out of state hunters. Getting drawn for cow elk has gotten better since it became residents only.

I want my grandkids to learn to hunt. That doesn't happen if they can't get drawn here in the state.

Where I hunt, deer populations have declined steadily for the past 30 years, due to limits on bear and cougar licenses and fees of $43 and $47. The good old days of deer hunting were when ranchers poisoned coyotes. One year I saw 10 bears and two bucks. That's when I started hunting bears. Turns out, bear meat can be delicious. Now we have the Mexican gray wolf here, and things are even worse. I used to get a deer every year, and now I'm about 1 in 10. Why are wolves a protected species if they're all over Mexico? When Rick Perry was running for President and was asked which Fed Dept's. he would like to eliminate, he got tongue tied. My answer would have been "So many choices."

Last edited:
As a resident of Wyoming for 46 years. I am happy for the 90/10 decision made. The WY G& F will lose money in license sales to Non-residents - thats O.K. The state just needs to manage the money better. The WY G & F just got done having the season setting dates for the upcoming 2022 season. In the NW region they put on more days at the end of the deer season - bad idea. A large percentage of the deer are harvested in the last 5 days of season on a GENERAL tag. Our deer herds are hurting and the elk (ungulates in general) numbers have never recovered from the wolf introduction in 1995. I used to hunt Montana (DIY) with horses from 1986-2007 and felt like the $750 tag was the cheapest part of my vacation. We are trying to put a value on our wildlife so please try and understand. I am now a hunter of the large predators with focus on mountain lions, wolves, black bears and hopefully grizzlies some day. Non - residents - please save up your money and apply to Wyoming and hopefully we can see you every other year if this management program works. P.S. I have not harvested a mule deer in NW Wyoming in a long time now due to mis management of this resource.
Wyoming Game and Fish, like practically every other state wildlife department, does not publicly acknowledge the contribution of out of state revenue sources. This makes it somewhat difficult to determine the percentage of outside funds in their budgets, so estimates of the number are "guesstimates". But it appears a reasonable "guess" for Wyoming would be somewhere around 50% of the department's funding comes from out-of-state. That indicates to me that 90/10 does a great disservice to the rest of the the US. Remember, in America wildlife is held in trust by the government for the benefit of everyone, not just for those persons residing in a particular state. Please read --- https://wildlife.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/ptd_10-1.pdf

They get away with it first, "because they can," and secondly, because nobody has as of yet sued them back into submission. Third, because it's popular with the local residents.

They get away with it first, "because they can," and secondly, because nobody has as of yet sued them back into submission. Third, because it's popular with the local residents.
And because, as is mentioned in the Public Trust Doctrine article referenced earlier, most state laws that address ownership assert that wildlife resources belong to the state, or to the people of the state. Consequently, they behave as if, and they probably believe, they have no obligations, or accountability, to people in other states, or to the rest of the country. The natural truth, described in the North American Model, is that wildlife belongs to everyone.

Just owning a house and hunting land in another state doesn't qualify you for a resident license in most states. They require you to live there over 6 months to get a resident license. Kinda hard to live in 2 states over 6 mo in the same year, they're wise to that, I've tried...:)
Wyoming for resident tags, licenses , etc. Its one year. Everything else is 6 month. They'll get the extra year non res fees out of you. Also require you to buy points every other year or lose them. Wonder why their points cost so much ? Az. and Nv. did away with the every year or lose them. If you move here you can keep your non res points in case you move but still have to buy the non res pt. at least every other year. I gave up 10 pts.non res pts. for elk and 4 for lope. I had burned my deer points though. It's definitely turned into a rich man's sport if you want to hunt out of state.

ouch. $1200😕

to answer your question on MT resdient tags. i got my MT small game, upland birds, fishing, general Deer and general Elk tag and the fees for a few permits for deer and elk and my cost was $120.40 - i will still buy a few more deer tags and put several in the freezer along with my sons… but the additional deer tags should just be $10 each. the sons are youth so they get discounts and usually we get their fishing, birds, small game, and deer tag for $35 or so.
I like that Az. and Wy. also have youth tags and licenses. I think on Az. it's up to 18 years of age. Nice. Ca. if I remember correctly it's only 14 years.