No perfect stock!!!

PRCLITE

After years and years of trying different stocks, I am convinced there is not a perfectly suited stock for all around hunting/shooting use. I have tried them all... Manners, McMillan, AG Composites, Grayboe, B&C, Stocky's and even a cheap Archangel stock. Overall I'd love a stock that has the lightweight attributes, good size barrel contour, somewhat vertical grip, great ergonomics and last but not least an adjustable cheek piece that doesn't weigh much more than a few ounces and doesn't look like an afterthought. Overall my favorite out of all that I've tried has to be the Manners EH-1. I've built plenty of rifles with the EH-1 and most of the time they work well. As of recently I completed a build and went with a Leupold Mark-5HD which obviously requires 35mm rings and sits a little higher than the norm. It is my first experience with the Mark-5HD but not with Leupold. I love my NF ATACR and my March but I think this one takes the cake for being the best whole package do-all scope as it pertains to hunting, target, portability and weight but of course now my EH-1 needs a higher comb. I know I can get the Manners spacer system that only adds a few ounces which works but I am very particular and I like a smoother looking solution. As a reference I've had the McMillan A3-5, Manners EH-1 & EH-1A, Grayboe Phoenix, AG Compsites Alpine Hunter, and a few others. All great stocks but what I don't like about one I loved about the other and vice versa. I see most of the big stock manufacturers are going to the one size fits all solution lately like the Manners LRH and the McMillan Game Warden 2.0 but I feel that is really taking away from the point of a custom rifle build and it's stock just so they can pump them out faster and still charge top dollar when there is basically no customization other than color. It's good for those of us in a hurry on a build but again takes away from the "custom" feature.

Can anyone suggest any other stocks that have the attributes I want? Maybe there's some that I am missing and just haven't stumbled upon yet.

Manners LRH is ~34oz and has an adjustable comb
Thank you but as previously state the LRH doesn't fit the bill due to appearance but is certainly a great solution. If I could have the attributes of the LRH without the "afterthought" cheek riser look and the "non-custom" inletting look, it would be the one. Honestly if I could find a stock that looks like the EH-1A, A3-5, Alpine Adjustable and the like that weighed 30oz. it would be the winner for me. I'm already running a titanium action, carbon fiber barrel and lighter weight in-class scope. I don't want to run over 10lbs total build if I could help it. Not sure where else I'd be able to cut weight to account for the adjustable cheek piece.

I'm currently running Hawkins Hunter DBM, and I'd switch to a BDL setup if my impact precision 737 Titan would be able to utilize that setup but it can't. Not sure if there are any significantly lighter weight bottom metal options other than the bottom metal that comes on the Seekins element but that is not something they sell as a component part unfortunately.

Manners has the pro hunter coming out soon. Can't wait to check it out. I don't know if ergonomics changed much but it's much lighter at 25 ounces

Attachments

• F5AE35F4-8FF7-42BD-90BA-6FD01BA72653.png
    F5AE35F4-8FF7-42BD-90BA-6FD01BA72653.png
    277.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 275A1ACD-532E-4F28-940C-E134C77C00D7.png
    275A1ACD-532E-4F28-940C-E134C77C00D7.png
    300.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 89E207F2-544B-4C79-A040-6EC0459F9A5F.png
    89E207F2-544B-4C79-A040-6EC0459F9A5F.png
    231.2 KB · Views: 84
You could alway try the gun werks clymr that seems to to be one of the best overall stocks out there. Or there's also the new stock that peak 44 stock.

Manners has the pro hunter coming out soon. Can't wait to check it out. I don't know if ergonomics changed much but it's much lighter at 25 ounces
Now that looks like something I can get behind! Any idea when it's coming out?

You could alway try the gun werks clymr that seems to to be one of the best overall stocks out there. Or there's also the new stock that peak 44 stock.
I was thinking of the clymr stock and definitely thought about it but it doesn't look like there is an adjustable cheek rest option. The peak 44 definitely looks like the same design concept and logic of the clymr and had my curiosity. I called them last week and they told me that my Bart #13 wouldn't fit in their barrel inlet which didn't help.

Now that looks like something I can get behind! Any idea when it's coming out?

I was thinking of the clymr stock and definitely thought about it but it doesn't look like there is an adjustable cheek rest option. The peak 44 definitely looks like the same design concept and logic of the clymr and had my curiosity. I called them last week and they told me that my Bart #13 wouldn't fit in their barrel inlet which didn't help.
That's a bummer. I guess I didn't realize that a 13 was bigger than the proof sendero. The wife is getting the clymr for her 7 prc build and the new peak 44 for her 270 sherman that we should be picking up this week. So we will see. That new manners is fire though. Think we will put that on a build for my father in law.

That's a bummer. I guess I didn't realize that a 13 was bigger than the proof sendero. The wife is getting the clymr for her 7 prc build and the new peak 44 for her 270 sherman that we should be picking up this week. So we will see. That new manners is fire though. Think we will put that on a build for my father in law.
Have you been able to compare the clymr to the peak, first hand?

Have you been able to compare the clymr to the peak, first hand?
No. Gun werks wouldn't sell me a component stock as they said they were changing the stock component but they were more than happy to sell me their full system. I said if you're changing the stocks how can you sell me a full system. To which they had no answer and the guy on the phone started stumbling trying to correct his words and make stuff up. I called manners and go an lrh ordered for the wife that has pretty much the exact same features with the adjustable cheek piece for about 150 bucks cheaper. After making calls to people I trust in the industry they also agreed the manners was the better stock. The peak 44 bastion is awesome very light weight. Handle well. Fits her extremely well and has a small palm swell so if you have smaller hands that stock will work great for you. Peak does not advise putting a pick rail on it in place of the sling studs. That's a dislike but I can live it with it. Over all fit finish weight were all right on point.