No more bacon for you!

One thing to remember about hogs, their gestation period is 3 months, 3 weeks, and 3 days. KY says they have a population of about 10K. Think of it like this... of the 10K approximately 2/3 are female and up to 70% are of breeding age at any given time. A wild hog will typically average somewhere between 3 to 8 pigs per litter and could, in theory, have up to three litters per year but typically 2.

Using an average of 4 pigs per litter and an overall mortality rate of 70% reaching sexual maturity (not including hunter harvest) adds somewhere in the neighborhood of 3300 breeding age gilts twice a year. And that adds up fast! Over a period of 3 to 4 years the population could be as high as 35,000 pigs compounding every year. Using basic numbers you would have to harvest about 70% of the population annually just to keep it in check.

I can certainly understand shutting down hunting in areas for a period of time on public lands, not more than 45 days, for concentrated trapping efforts just to decrease the pressure to allow those using specialized traps to capture and kill entire sounders at one time. Over time, after the traps are removed, another sounder will move into that area and call it home until trapping operations are continued in that area. It will be an ongoing battle.

In my own cynical way of looking at it; for a total shutdown, someone has lobbied the state and someone is making money at the expense of the taxpayer. Someone's gotta pay the trappers, there is a live market, there is a dog food market, and believe it or not there is a meat export market. Wild hog meat is sought after in Europe and is processed and sent to their retail markets by small specialty processors.

Wouldn't putting a bounty on them be a lot simpler??
No. Think about the cheating to make that dollar. Hogs would be disappearing out of people's pens overnight. Farmers would be shooting thieves left and right. Maybe in an honest world but could you kill enough at a low enough expense to justify going after the bounty.

If they are smart enough to go nocturnal from hunting, they aren't smart enough to learn how to stay out of traps?

I don't know the most about hog hunting but I've heard you have to go at them with everything, hunting, trapping and anything else you can.
That’s the way it is in Texas anyway. Any method just kill them.

It appears to me that the People of Kentucky need some new representation and need to replace their 'Commission' along with the biologists creating this type of bad information.

Someone is making money from these decisions, I can guarantee you and it's not in the best interest of We the People.

Decommission the 'Commission'!

😊
I'd bet Mitch McConnell is in on that money maker.

I do think there should be a few more regulations than there is, just to be ethical, but the truth of the matter is hogs are just an invasive rodent. Out where I hunt in Texas, certain areas look like a grain drill after hogs move in. After rain is the worst there will be holes and wallows everywhere .

Here is the NC regulation on traps.

Attachments

• IMG_3411.png
    IMG_3411.png
    48 KB · Views: 18
That’s the way it is in Texas anyway. Any method just kill them.

Here in Texas - the landowners and property lessees would be up in arms. Those hogs are incredibly destructive. As a landowner or State legislator, you're asking for trouble by outlawing hunting. If Texas did not have hog hunting, hogs would have enough votes to put Biden back in office on their own.

One thing to remember about hogs, their gestation period is 3 months, 3 weeks, and 3 days. KY says they have a population of about 10K. Think of it like this... of the 10K approximately 2/3 are female and up to 70% are of breeding age at any given time. A wild hog will typically average somewhere between 3 to 8 pigs per litter and could, in theory, have up to three litters per year but typically 2.

Using an average of 4 pigs per litter and an overall mortality rate of 70% reaching sexual maturity (not including hunter harvest) adds somewhere in the neighborhood of 3300 breeding age gilts twice a year. And that adds up fast! Over a period of 3 to 4 years the population could be as high as 35,000 pigs compounding every year. Using basic numbers you would have to harvest about 70% of the population annually just to keep it in check.

I can certainly understand shutting down hunting in areas for a period of time on public lands, not more than 45 days, for concentrated trapping efforts just to decrease the pressure to allow those using specialized traps to capture and kill entire sounders at one time. Over time, after the traps are removed, another sounder will move into that area and call it home until trapping operations are continued in that area. It will be an ongoing battle.

In my own cynical way of looking at it; for a total shutdown, someone has lobbied the state and someone is making money at the expense of the taxpayer. Someone's gotta pay the trappers, there is a live market, there is a dog food market, and believe it or not there is a meat export market. Wild hog meat is sought after in Europe and is processed and sent to their retail markets by small specialty processors.
Are we still talking about hogs or illegals? Sound like the samething....

Recent Posts