Nickle cases anyone reload them?

I think you are the second one to mention the nickel being a benefit in a wet environment and I am open minded about that but, why is the nickel plated better than plain brass? Just curious. What does the nickel do to protect from water? Why doesn't the brass do the same thing?
Brass molds and turns green when wet. It really corrods if it comes in contact with blood or carried in a leather holster belt. Nickel plating is good for rainy damp weather. Just inspect it good before sizing.

The nickel itself is not (in my experience anyway) scratching the die. The issue is the nickel is transferring onto the die. Then it will scratch every piece of brass you poke in it after that and build up more each piece. A single piece of 9mm nickel with no lube ran through a carbide die is enough to start the problem. Lubed up nickel brass in a clean die is good to go for me. As for splitting or lasting fewer reloads, I have seen splits on 38 spl / 357 mag on nickel brass that has been loaded several times, but nothing I'd lose sleep over. I sort the nickel out and save them for a rainy day when I have clean dies to start and then clean them after.

I prefer nickel brass in single action revolvers. It is slicker and slides out of the cylinder easier, especially with heavy loads.

I have reloaded rifle rounds that were nickel without issue too. I am not sure i would use them for trying to build precise LR type loads, but for general loading go for it. If you have them, use them.

Recent Posts