Nickle cases anyone reload them?

I remember WAY back in the day when Speer sold loaded ammo, they came in nickel cases. When I reloaded them, the necks would split after 1 or two loadings. How about the Federal Terminal Accent nickel cases? Should I keep them or chunk-em?
I reload all our nickel brass. Typing this in a box with my 300wsm nickel reloads. Looking at a big doe. No issues in several hundred shots, I just don't think you can expect as many reuses on the case necks. 20241013_073015.jpg

Last edited:
I tossed my nickel Winchester .280Rem cases after 4-5 cycles. I had annealed and turned necks. At first no problems but after 4 cycles they became extremely difficult to F/L size, like a major force effort to push them into the F/L die despite being well lubed. In comparison ordinary brass cases having same history had no problems. The die was inspected and cleaned. Looking at both brass & nickel cases under 10X I saw many shallow longitudinal scratches just above the web area on the nickel cases that were not on the brass cases that had equal velocity. I don't have a clue as why?? I can only guess that the electroplated nickel surface went thru some kind of work hardening that caused more resistance & friction against the inside of the F/L die. No problems with neck splits, nice bullet slip fit into fired nickel cases. Headspace OK, no case separations or indications of. Neck turning cutter/blade easily cut thru thin nickel plate to brass.

For whatever reason, I just prefer the Starline nickel cases for my 45-70 levergun. I have reloaded them many times without any issues. I also have some regular Starline brass cases because the nickel cases aren't always available. I can see no practical difference between the two.

You can reload nickel plated cases without too much difficulty.

Just remember that it is a plating.
As such you have to keep an eye on them. Especially in the neck area.
If they start flaking, pitch them!

I have and reload nickel in 9mm, 45 ACP, 38 SPCL, 357 Mag, 25-06, 280 Rem, 7mm Rem Mag, 45-70.

I have several calibers in nickel, including the most recent Starline 32 WCF cases. Many of my oldest 357 magnum cases are nickel plated; I have had them and reloaded them for 40 years. I don't see any problem with nickel plated cases other than toss them when they go bad.

It has been a while, and I could not remember why I never reloaded nickel-plated brass. It was an article about the pros and cons of brass and nickel plates. I gave them away to those who reloaded them because I never had enough. I had a box of 20 different cartridges here and there, which was not worth my trouble.

ADDED: OK, I just remembered, the article recommended titanium or carbide reloading dies as nickel can damage standard reloading dies. I never cared to find out then and do not know if it is applicable today.

Last edited:
I remember WAY back in the day when Speer sold loaded ammo, they came in nickel cases. When I reloaded them, the necks would split after 1 or two loadings. How about the Federal Terminal Accent nickel cases? Should I keep them or chunk-em?
I have some in 300 win mag and 270 WSM .
I'm also finding the same issue when reloading in both calibers.
Some last 8 to 10 re loads , others , not so many .
I still use them though until they actually split .

I had some Winchester in 270 that started as Winchester Supreme ballistic tip factory ammo. I reserved it for hunting season and hunting season prep only I think it made I through 5 loadings. Loaded with Berger's it made some very pretty ammo. I threaten to buy more but I have enough 270 brass to last the rest of my life