• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Newton rifle in .30 newton cal

therifleman556

I've got this old Buffalo Newton rifle in 30 Newton caliber. It shows bluing wear and some light freckling, but no pitting that I can detect. The bore looks good and rifling looks fairly strong, although the muzzle looks as though it may have some cleaning rod wear. The stock has nice checkering and a scnabbel tip. There is a small nick in the fore end that looks fairly fresh. This rifle has the six lug bolt and double set triggers. Any questions feel free, I know there's probably something I'm missing. I don't have access to blue book anymore and I don't often see these for sale on GunBroker so I'm taking a shot here and asking $1400 shipped in the lower 48.

Thanks for looking!
KIMG0616.JPG

KIMG0617.JPG

KIMG0628.JPG

KIMG0635.JPG

KIMG0626.JPG

I thought the members here would appreciate this being the original "short magnum". Pretty impressive ballistics for it's time. I wish I knew how to accurately date it though

Up top with some more info.

Bullet mass/type Velocity Energy
150 gr 3,208 ft/s 3,445 ft⋅lbf
172 gr 3,000 ft/s 3,440 ft⋅lbf
225 gr 2,610 ft/s 3,470 ft⋅lbf
Source(s): Newton Arms Company Catalog. 14th Edition: 1920. IN "Cartridges of the World" Frank C. Barnes, 3rd Edition: 1972

My reading indicates brass could be formed from 375 Ruger.

I liked the picture of the bolt head, showing the multiple lugs. Interesting rifle. For anyone interested, I found this info on Wikipedia:
"Small runs of 30 Newton brass are occasionally made by Jamison Brass and Roberson Brass. Cases for 30 Newton can be easily made from .375 Ruger as they are very similar other than the caliber of the case neck; so much so that many assume Ruger based their cartridge on the 30 Newton case. 8x68S brass can also be used."

I've been researching this some more and it intrigues me. Apparently only 4000 of these rifles made in ALL calibers and the .256 Newton was the most 'prolific' Newton caliber, making this .30 Newton a bit 'rarer'. If just considering the first/original batch of rifles, there were only 2,600 of them made. Then the company came alive again and made more - off and on - and then went out of business again (which got the total to 4000.) Also, the $1,400 price seems more than 'realistic' for what this is! Wish I was 'awash' in $$ so I could buy this just to have something rare and cool in my safe.

Good luck with your sale therifleman556. Seems like this should have sold already considering what it is, who made it, and the caliber (unique; powerful; can be made with modern .375 Ruger brass without trouble.)