Newer Truck vs. Low Mileage Old Truck

No kidding.
I have a 76 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4, 82 Chevy 1 ton duelly 4x4, 86 Chevy CUCV and a 95 Z71 stepside.
I have people all the time asking if I would sell one, some offer pretty crazy prices
I've also had a lot of people asking me if I wanted to sell my trucks over the years too.A couple of months ago,I found a note under my windshield wiper.Someone had left a note with a phone number wanting to buy my truck if I wanted to sell it.After they are 25yrs old,they are considered Classics.I have a feeling the first generation Tundras are going to go way up in price.Heck their resale right now is better than any five year old Ford I 've ever owned.I like to use Cargurus to keep up with what vehicles are selling for. https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...stingPriceChangesViewDetailsCTA#resultsPage=2

Last edited:
Down here on work trucks I recommend changing the fluid ever 25,000 miles due to the heat we have and especially on 6l80 transmissions
In my 2013 GMC I put a drain plug in the transmission pan. If you drain just the pan, it's 1 gallon, and Dexron VI comes in 1-gallon containers from Amazon. So, when I change oil I drain 1 gallon from the transmission and refill.
At 100,000 and 180,000 miles I changed the transmission filter. Both times the insides of the pan were quite clean so I think my preventive maintenance is working.

Yeah, the vehicle market is a scam. They load the vehicles with stupid tech you don't want or need then charge $120k. Then, the used market went way up. Thank you Joe Biden and friends. At least a nice new vehicle can auto drive you off a cliff to a fireball death rather than you having the freedom of doing it yourself.

Unfortunately, there is no good answer here. On anything new, price and wizbang crap or, it's older and no parts…cause they stop making parts pretty fast now so you have to buy a new vehicle. I'd choose the latter.
The problem with that is that they've built in too many safety features to allow that… not even "survival of the fittest" can apply anymore.

I've also had a lot of people asking me if I wanted to sell my trucks over the years too.A couple of months ago,I found a note under my windshield wiper.Someone had left a note with a phone number wanting to buy my truck if I wanted to sell it.After they are 25yrs old,they are considered Classics.I have a feeling the first generation Tundras are going to go way up in price.Heck their resale right now is better than any five year old Ford I 've ever owned.I like to use Cargurus to keep up with what vehicles are selling for. https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...stingPriceChangesViewDetailsCTA#resultsPage=2
I had a 1982 Toyota SR5 4x4 that I bought used in 1984.
I loved that truck, it was a Billy goat of a 4x4.
I had until I got tired of people pulling up wanting to buy it, so 3 years ago a young man that I practically raised as my own asked if I would let him have it so he drives it now 😂 and he has to put up with people trying to buy it

My current rig is nearing 300k miles and I will likely be in the market for a new truck in the near future. Truck prices are outrageous right now and I can't rap my mind around paying $30-40k for a 5-10 yr old truck with 60-100k miles.
If you are at all mechanically inclined, I'd go with an older truck. These newer trucks are nice when they work but you are at the mercy of the repair shop or stealership when it needs work.

I've never once bought a new pickup. I've always (ok, maybe not ALWAYS) waited and watched until the right older truck came along.

Sit back and watch for the right older truck thats got what you want and lowish miles.

At nearing 68yrs of age,I'm retired and I don't really drive that many miles a year anymore.I just can't see buying new trucks at the ridiculous prices these days.The last new truck I bought was in 2002.It was my first non-Ford truck.I bought a 2002 Toyota Tundra 4.7 V-8.I paid it off in 2007,so I haven't had a monthly truck payment since.It has been the best vehicle I've ever had and at 22yrs old,I have 213,000 miles on it and it's still a great truck.Four years ago I came across a great deal on another 2002 Toyota Tundra 4.7 V-8 with 143,000 miles on it,this one is a 4x4,my other is a 4x2.I paid $6000 cash for it,so I now have two.They are both great trucks.Not having a monthly vehicle payment for 17yrs = money in the bank.Being in debt is a guaranteed way to stay broke.At my age,between these two,I may never have to buy another vehicle and I'm OK with that.
View attachment 578229
You are finally breaking them in. I know what you mean by not having vehicle payments, especially when retired. I am working on my second retirement; I can retire now, but 2027 is ideal. All my vehicles—a 2005 Honda Odyssey, a 2011 Toyota Tundra Dual Cab 4x4, a 2015 Toyota Tundra TRD Crew Max 4x4, and a 2020 Honda Pilot—are all paid for, as is the house. I live a simple life, but I am blessed with many things to be thankful for. Cheers!

I've been looking also. Don't really want a new one but what I'm looking for is a needle in a haystack. If anyone has a 2018 2500-3500 Laramie g56 truck I'm in the market lol

I've been looking also. Don't really want a new one but what I'm looking for is a needle in a haystack. If anyone has a 2018 2500-3500 Laramie g56 truck I'm in the market lol
Is that the last year of the manual trans?
As much as I like my 09, I'd probably give it up for a newer one with lower miles if it had a manual.
I hate automatics.

The market is indeed wacko. Terrible interest rates as well. Assuming you will be paying ca$h, you are in a good bargaining position.
The current prices are the reality of the times.
Auto trader is a good search engine. Maybe a WTB ad on FB Marketplace?

I looked long n hard before getting my 6 yo used w 60k. NOT bargain priced but well maintained, garaged, only a couple of body dings/boo boos. If what l found was a really good price, l was usually a day late if not only a couple of hours.
Part of me is thinking of trading my '18 Chevy with 61K on it, but I'm not liking the idea of coughing up 40K for a mild upgrade to a new 3/4 ton. It's just not enough gain to justify the added cost at present. The 1 ton dually trucks are nice and not much more cost, but they are an issue in an urban environment since they are a pain to park, etc..

I hate automatics too. Every day.🤑
Perfect example of why I hate automatics, (but some people love them)- this past winter we took my wifes Xterra to a neighbors to feed and water their horse.
Pull up to the gate, everything is fine in our world. Get back in after opening the gate, it will only move ever so slowly if you floor it.

Towed it to a good transmission shop. Repair estimate was for $7500 for an SUV that is maybe worth $5000.

Bought a low mileage Jeep TJ with a 4.0 and a 5 speed manual for not much more than their estimate for the repairs.

Did I mention that I hate automatics???

Perfect example of why I hate automatics, (but some people love them)- this past winter we took my wifes Xterra to a neighbors to feed and water their horse.
Pull up to the gate, everything is fine in our world. Get back in after opening the gate, it will only move ever so slowly if you floor it.

Towed it to a good transmission shop. Repair estimate was for $7500 for an SUV that is maybe worth $5000.

Bought a low mileage Jeep TJ with a 4.0 and a 5 speed manual for not much more than their estimate for the repairs.

Did I mention that I hate automatics???
I have an old 1974 Dodge Power Wagon that had a an automatic. Figuring that I would keep it forever, I rebuilt it the way I like it. Small block 360 engine, NP205 (Manual operated) T-case, Dana 60 axles with manual locking hubs, manual 5 speed NV4500 transmission. It is a pretty stout little short box standard cab truck. I have had it since 1994. My livelihood since 1982 has been working on transmissions, t-cases and differentials. This was my choice for durability.