Newby/Oldy seeking reloading information, recommendations, sources for tools and supplies

Bob$.01

I am an old timer(76 yrs old) who has purchased some nice rifles over time. Some of my rifles are somewhat rare or made for more extreme, long range conditions. Purchasing ammunition for several calibers has been frustrating, challenging and difficult and not available. I think I need to look at getting into reloading. The calibers of bullets I am unable to find or locate reasonably priced ammo are Weatherby 30-378, .338 Win Mag and .300 RUM. What do I need to get into reloading? Should I get into reloading?
Should I simply abandon the aforementioned calibers and move into some of the newer?
I used to reload shotgun shells when I was much younger. Depending upon what I hear from you folks, if I do go the reloading route, I will need recommendations for and sources for purchasing the equipment. I am not opposed to purchasing used equipment. By the way, I am more into hunting than just shooting.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and wealth of information.

Merry Christmas and have a SUPER 2023 New Year!!!

Bob $.01 (1Cent)

Merry Christmas Bob. I’ll get the ball rolling here. Reloading is a great hobby and you will get better accuracy and it’s nice to choose your own bullets. There’s some downfalls such as time and initial monetary investment for equipment and components.
For a beginner it’s best to have a mentor to help you out but it’s not a must since reloading manuals have step by step instructions.
As for equipment you can get starter kits that includes just about all you need for a reasonable price and you can upgrade if you decide you like reloading.
Only you can decide if you want to start reloading but it’s enjoyable to make your own ammo and see the results in the field.
If you are only shooting a couple boxes of ammo a year it may not be worth it.
Others will definitely chime in and may be of more assistance.

Do you have a friend that reloads. That would be the easy. Then you are down to dies and a few other items. You probably have brass for those rifles already. Only once fired, and that's a start.
Got to be somebody around your area that reloads.
By the way welcome to the club. We are here to help too. So good some bad, but help. :)
I am to far away to help. I am in Montana and my reload area isn't set up area. My sons wife moved into what was going to be a reloading area. So I have losted that. He has enough land to build a reload shed. So I am doing detail drawing to determine size, materials costs to see how what it going costs. Or put the money towards his pole barn and enclose a portion of it for a reloading area at my sons place.
I am in an apartment for now that I own, but there no room.
There is some people that have themselve together here. Watch the recent posts. Items are coming up all the time. You can just read or write back it you so want too.

While I truly enjoy the reloading process, you may not… if you don’t have a friend that already reloads I would recommend the rcbs rock chucker supreme kit. It’s about $500 and if you decide it’s not for you you can always sell it on here and recoup most of your investment. But the problem is reloading supplies might be just as hard to find as the ammo your trying buy, but if you go through with reloading you will gain a new skill as well as a hobby that gets you more accurate ammunition at a small cost savings per round

At your age, ( Mine too, as I'm, a Youngish, 75 ) get rid of, the as*zz kicking, Magnums, buy yourself, a Tikka or, the like, in .223 Rem, .243 Win or, 6.5, Creed., etc. and Enjoy Life,.. WITHOUT, the Magnum sized, shoulder beating's and Expensive, Ammo !
Unless, I'm Elk or, Moose hunting, My "Cannon", sits,.. in the Safe.
I do Enjoy, precision informal Target or, Steel plate, field practice, shooting with, my custom, 6 XC, .22-250 Rem and,.. 6.5 Creedmoor.
6.5 Creed, .243 win., .223 or, .22-250 Rem Ammo, is pretty cheap IF you don't feel like, Hand loading ( Hand loading, IS my second Hobby, tho ! ).
IF, you "Shop" carefully, for reloading components, you can Save approx., 50% on,.. some ammo

Last edited:
Bob,..
It's HARD to, get rid of, Nice rifles ( I know ) as, I HAD, a beautiful, 25" custom Barrelled & Stocked, Weatherby, MK V, German mfg. in .338 Win Mag. and it was, a "Tack Driving" Elk and Deer Slayer, But, the recoil made it, NO Fun to shoot, once I was, past 50 years old, so I replaced it, with, a .270 WSM Tikka and, the Elk / Deer are, just as Dead !
Now, I shoot almost as good as when, I was 35 y/o again, because I can shoot, a LOT more !
My .338 Magnum "Flinch", is finally,.. Gone !
With, the Money I got from, the Sale of My Weatherby, I bought, 3 Tikka's,.. plus 3, Burris Scopes !
The .270 WSM, mostly sits in the Safe now, Unless I draw a Tag,.. But my close "Duplicate", Rifle, in 6.5 Creed, gets shot,.. a lot !

Last edited:
I guess I might have a little bit different outlook/opinion on reloading. I love reloading! I have been doing it for a long time. I have always been jealous of the folks that were already retired from the grinder jobs (some still working because they want to, not because they have to) and can gontonthe range at 9:AM on a Tuesday morning to test their loads. What keeps me from upping my game even more is time. I would absolutely jump in with both feet, but only if you are doing it for the fun and satisfaction. I would also get a rifle that recoil less so you can hone your loading skills. Reloading is a cause and effect thing. You have to experiment with different inputs and measure results. If you're into that sort of thing.....its the best hobby in the world

If you need or want any help getting started, reach out, I'll help you get going. It doesn't take a fortune to get started. You can always add on as you go.

As many posted start with a kit. Just look at what is in the kit, and piece together off what ever used sales place you use. Old balance beam scales are very accurate! Of all the gear I have used over the last 45 years a very good case cleaner has been most important....again buying used from people who have to have the latest and greatest is a great option.