Newbie from SC

Howland

Hi folks. I just found this site from a link to a thread my brother sent me.

I used to belong to a club in NH with a 500 yard range and miss it. Now I'm in SC and just got a membership at a club not too far away in GA that has a 400 yard range but also has monthly 600 & 1,000 yard matches off-site but nearby.

I'm looking to pick your brains for tips and info to help me extend my reach. Thanks for having me.

The avatar is my cat with confirmed rabbit #14. Yes, she eats the entire carcass except the stomach and bladder. Everything.

Nice to have you here. practice more often how many groups do you do at 400 give us more details lots of good fellows here to help out.

I went to the 400 range with only a Mini-14 of mine that has a red-dot that had only been boresighted. I needed to sight it in as well as my astigmatic eyes can with a red-dot (red-blob).

The real reason was to put a REPR in .308 Win and an FN Ballista in .338LM through their paces, both topped with a Vortex Viper PST Gen2 6-24x50(?) MOA and previously zeroed at a 100 yard local range. Very impressed with the scopes and both rifles.

The REPR can best be described as a $1,000 trigger with a free precision rifle attached. I've never shot a rifle with such a smooth, clean break.

The best group of the day was from the FN with Hornady AMAX 285gr factory ammo. If you assume the one outlier was normal variation of the rifle/ammo combination, .84 MOA. Not so bad. If it was human error (I was shooting and called it pulled), .33 MOA.

I can't wait to wring these out at 1,000 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.