New Zealand Trophy pics-Dialup beware

NZhunter

Hi Guys,
Haven't really posted on here before but throughly enjoy what goes on inthe forum.
Added are some pictures of trophy NZ game secured by myself and my mates over the last couple of years. They include Red stags, Sika stags, Tahr and Chamios. Enjoy!
DSCF0232.jpg

this is a Dutch guy i was guiding and on the last day we managed to get him this 13.25" Bull tahr. 575m with 25-06 110 accubond.

DSCF0230.jpg

some of the country we were hunting.

2007_0102Xmas060051.jpg

2007_0102Xmas060042.jpg

Myself and then my mate with 9.5" and 9.25" respectively Chamios bucks. Great was to spend your new years.
chamios.jpg

A mob of chamios i snuck up on.
SaltwaterRiver06017.jpg

Another 9.75" Chamios buck.
Hope you enjoyed that.

NZhunter

And some more
SaltwaterRiver06022.jpg

My camp for the week by myself. A great way to put your life back into perspective.
DSCF1529.jpg

another mate with his first Bull Tahr 11.75"
Stag13ptr_edited.jpg

A 13pt red stag my father shot this roar.
Stag13.jpg

DSCF0185-1.jpg

Another mates first stag and only 2nd deer. A beauty sika stag 8 pt trophy.
DSCF0187-1.jpg

A strange sika stag i shot with a broken antler. I believe he would have knocked it in the velvet which caused it to grow to the side and then broken it whilst moving thru the bush.

some more

DSCF0497800x600.jpg

One of my recent chamios bucks 9.25" shot 535m with 270wsm 130gn SST
DSCF0516800x600.jpg

The same trip as abve. the boys with there trophies. Tahr and a Chamios
DSCF0517800x600.jpg

Tim with the heads.

Thats all for now.

Cheers

details

Well all the thar and chamios are taken from the South Island of NZ. The first Bull was taken on the west coast of the south island up the wanganui river area. The particular spot is a balloted block which allows parties to hunt there for 7 days. It is part of the Adams wilderness area so at all other times of the year you can't use a helicopter to reach the area. The weather on this trip was shocking and the day we shot the bull was the best we had. over all around 100 animals were seen inculding a number of other bulls that would have been just as big.
The next chamios pics were from my New years trip 06/07. This also was a West coast trip on the front country of the whataroa river. for our week we saw around 45 chamios the the two shot were the best we saw. For a chamios 9"+ is a representative animal and 10"+ is a very good trophy. Im still waiting my turn for a 10+. Camp for this trip was around 1200m and the animals were shot around 1500m.
The red stag pics are from the north island in the tararua ranges. The stag was shot on country bordering a farm so the quality of the animal was exceptional due to the good feed. For a wild stag he is a very good trophy.

The two following sika stags were shot in hawkes bay, East coast of the north island in the kaweka ranges. Sika are a superb game animal, which will challenge the best of hunters. They give a high pitched squel when spooked but are very inquisitive and had been known to follow hunters if they aren't sure what you are. In the roar they can be very unpredictable. I had one episode where i had shot a spiker, gutted it then kept hunting. 100m further on i had a stag charge me and when i finally put him down he was 3m in front of me!!
The final set of pics are from labour weekend this year on the west coast again. For the trip we saw 70-80 tahr and the chamios buck. For the trip we shot 4 Bulls, 5 nannies and the chamios with the shots ranging from 150m-535m. On the last day it was raining ice and we were hunting thu 2 ft of fresh snow from the night before. We still managed to bag my mate his first tahr at 360m and once he had fired another mob of approx 20 tahr appeared higher up the mountain so i shot 3 more nannies at around 450m.
All in all they have all been very memorable trips with great mates in beautiful country.

Nz,
just want to thank you for posting all those wonderful pix''s,
man thats a hunters dream field ifin i ever seen one.
welcome to the forum!!!!!
regards jjmp:D

NZ,

Impressive country and photos.

There is something catchy about those jacket ya'll are wearing in that pic w/all together. What's the run down on them?

The jackets.

The jackets are made by a company called Swazi. They make very good gear. The jacket in particular is the Tahr Anorak. Gore tex etc.
I guess we never really realised we all had the same jacket till we looked at the photo's and said "Sh!t we look like a pack of knobs" but i guess really its a testiment to the quality of the gear. They retail at about $660 nzd, so are not cheap, but in mountains like these they could be the difference between death or survival. You could also note that all bar one of us are wearing Meindl Makalu Pro boot again retailing at around $700nzd. But as i always say "you can't put a price on your passion!!"

I've actually just got back from a hunt last night, seeing 5 red deer. 2 hinds, one with fawn, a young stag and another older stag which we shot for meat.

Im heading into the alps on the 26th of this month for 10 days hunting chamios and tahr so look out for the report in the new year.
We will be hunting the open tops and camping at 1600m. Hopefully some longer range shots will be available!!

Those red stags are really cool. I am going to have to get one of those on my wall next to my elk. Thanks for sharing.

SES50

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.