New rifle scope help

KyleC

I just got the background check paperwork filled out for my Alamo Precision Altitude in 28 Nosler. Now the 2-3 week wait while the 5000 or so others ahead of me get sifted through. So that brings me to the question of scope choice. This rifle is light enough and handy enough to be a do all rifle. I need a scope with low power for hunting first/last light and timber and high power to shoot across canyons and sage flats. I currently have two scopes not on rifles. A Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 and a Leupold VX5 HD 3-15x44.

My cons on the nightforce are:
1. 5.5x not "low" enough for up close fast shooting.
2. 56mm objective to large to get mounted low enough for good cheek weld

My cons on the Leupold are:
1. 15x not quite enough high magnification
2. I don't trust Leupold for dialing

Ive been researching the Nightforce NX8 2-20x50 but with the short tube and bigger objective I'm not sure I can mount it low enough for a good cheek weld.

The other scopes are the Zeiss V4 and V6.

I'd like a scope with a somewhat bold reticle, illumination is not needed.
Budget is +/-$2000. I'd like to keep weight under 30ounces and second focal.

Thanks

I think you're over thinking the top end magnification on the leupold. 15x, IMO, is plenty for out to 1000. Now you won't be using it for glassing by any means but if you really wanted a little more mag I'd look at the VX6 in the 3-18

ETA - Also why the wait on the rifle because of your state? I just picked up an altitude with adjustable cheek from the shop.... She bad!

Last edited:
I think you're over thinking the top end magnification on the leupold. 15x, IMO, is plenty for out to 1000. Now you won't be using it for glassing by any means but if you really wanted a little more mag I'd look at the VX6 in the 3-18

ETA - Also why the wait on the rifle because of your state? I just picked up an altitude with adjustable cheek from the shop.... She bad!
Yeah our state background check system is crazy back logged. Been that way for a year now.

That backlog is nuts. I fill out my background check in TN and it's back within minutes every time. I've never waited more than 30 minutes in my life. I can't imagine waiting weeks..

Tag. Just put my deposit in on my apr altitude in .280ai yesterday. Was leaning mark 5hd 3.6-18 then liked the nx8 4-32 but feel like I read a lot of complaints about the eye box. Completely torn right now as it will have the same purposes as your rifle it sounds like. Guess it's good I have a couple months to figure it out!

Like husker said, the thing that has kept me away from the NX8 is the many reviews I've read about the eye box being awful. Aside from that the 2-20 mag range is perfect. I'm in your same boat and am leaning towards the Tract Toric 4-20x50 but based on your criteria it probably wouldn't fit your needs. If I had the cash I'd be looking hard at the Mk5 3.8-18x.
All that to say I'm not much help, but here to read the comments since I'm also scope shopping. 😆

Part of me just wants a Nightforce 2.5-10x42 and call it done. I've killed more game under 300 yards than over.

I am more and more impressed with my Zeiss v4 after every hunt and range trip. It is light, but tough. Glass is clear in all conditions and 4-16 zoom range does everything I need a hunting rifle to do.

I have Leupold VX5HDs and Zeiss Z4. I will give a slight edge to low light performance and edge to edge clarity to the Leupold but it's slight and the Zeiss Z4 is very nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts