New Reloader: Thoughts on initial set up??

I am a new Reloader (haven't loaded a round yet) and I am still waiting for the last remaining things to arrive. I am starting with 223 Remington for bolt action 700's.

My equipment:
RCBS Rock Chucker
RCBS Chargemaster Lite
Redding 2 Die Set
Redding Shell Holders
RCBS Collet Bullet Puller with Collets
L.E. Wilson Trimmer/Sinclair Micrometer
L.E. Wilson Case Holder
iGaging Absolute Caliper
L.E. Wilson Chamfer and Debur Tool
Sinclair Neck Brushes LG and SM
Imperial Sizing Wax
Imperial Dry Neck Lube
Satern Funnel
Dewey CR Crocogator Primer Pocket Cleaner
National Metallic Reloading arrays
National Metallic Ammo Boxes
Nosler 8th Edition Manual
Hodgdon Benchmark Powder 2lbs
CCI BR4 Primers 1000
Nosler 40 gr Ballistic Tips

I know many of you will say I'm missing a bunch of things, and I believe I will need many more items as I go, but I want the basics to get loading some ammo and still keep initial costs some what controlled.

Thoughts? Did I many any mistakes? Is there something I don't have that I need?

Appreciate all your help, knowledge and patience. It's been 3 years or so of research and tons of intimidation before this commitment.

Steve

I WOULD GET A SHORT BASE DIE FROM RCBS TO MAKE SURE THE ROUNDS WILL CHAMBER IN YOUR BOLT ACTION THE CHAMBER IS TIGHTER THAN MOST AR'S

Don't know what your twist rate is, but 40gr sounds like a prairie dog setup... If you have a 10 twist or tighter , I'd suggest a heavier pill is all. Use the priming setup you got to start with. Then see if you want or need a change...
I've been priming cases for 25 years with my rockchucker, I've picked up handprimers at the store a bunch of times and always put them back and bought bullets, primers or powder instead. Just never been unsatisfied with that process of priming with a press

The problem that I have run into in reloading .223/5.56 and shooting ARs is that I pick up all the range brass I can find. Next thing I know, I have a thousand rounds that need to be prepped. For trimming I use the Worlds Finest 2 from Little Crow. You need a drill with a 1/2 inch chuck. I got mine from Harbor Freight and have been using it for 5 plus years. I used RCBS and Lyman case prep bits in the drill to do the rest.

But if you are sticking to bolt action and loading for accuracy, you may not run into the volume issue.

With the remington you may be at 1 ang 10 twist, im shooting sierra 55 gr with 25 gr varget, one i use cci primers and the other i use the winchester and both do very well. Good shooting and hunting.

One Remington is a 1/9 LTR and the other is a 1/12 Varmint.

I will also eventually be reloading for a 1/10 Rem LTR 308 Win, Rem 700 Mountain 7-08 Rem, Browning XBolt 7-08 Rem and a Rem 700 7-08 Rem.

Then I'll expand my cartridge selection due to it being virtually unlimited now.

It is nice to see someone else is spending a small fortune to get started as well
Still waiting for items to come and still need more. For those using the ss pins what brand tumbler do you use and how would you rate them compared to sonic or the media tumblers

Thumlers model b
It does good I only use if I got a lot to clean at one time it cleans inside and primer pockets but a pain in the —-to separate pins from brass
The sonic cleans small quantities in about 45 minutes but mine does a third of the thumlers
The vibrating does half the amount but you have to manually clean the primer pockets and then pick out media

It is nice to see someone else is spending a small fortune to get started as well
Still waiting for items to come and still need more. For those using the ss pins what brand tumbler do you use and how would you rate them compared to sonic or the media tumblers
I use the Franklin arsenal one. I like the ss pin they do a better job makes your brass look better then new

Great kit. I agree with the hand primer tool. Great for getting a feel of the primer pockets each reloading. id get one that doesn't require much effort to install the shell holder as it gets annoying after a while. got to get a good ol radio for the bench. I steel wool my brass as well, just be careful not to use it around a manual type scale if you get one. fibers end up on the magnet and can prevent moving freely. a good notebook with quality paper is something I wish I had started documenting things with rather than 3 ring binder and cheap paper that tears out after years of flipping pages. your gonna love reloading. Keep good reloading manuals that pertain to the bullets your using.

I am considering those items, however, do they still serve the same benefit with factory rifles loading to mag length?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts