New hunting handgun/backup handgun

Mrvmax

I have always wanted a handgun in 41 magnum and I finally got one. I picked up a Ruger Blackhawk with 4.6" barrel. I loaded up some ammo and made it to the range yesterday.

I painted the from sight with fluorescent paint to make it easier to see. I was pretty surprised at how well it shot. I am pretty confident I can group well enough at 50 yards to use it to hunt. As I get more range time, I will see how well I can group at 50. I will carry it as my backup when I hog hunt (it will go into the rotation with my XDM full size in 10mm and my 4" S&W 500 revolver). I may try to change out the grips on it to make it more comfortable.

Another fan of the .41 mag. I have two 6.5" Ruger Blackhawks, a three screw and a new model. In the past, I put on a Pachmayr rubber grip because I have somewhat big hands. What I discovered was that felt recoil was much worse, with it being focused on the web of my hand between my thumb and first finger. Once I swapped back to the original grips, which allowed it to slide in my hand during recoil, it was much more pleasant to shoot. Have fun with your new .41 mag!

Been shooting a 41 Magnum since 1979, T/C Contender 10" barrel, still have it and it shoots as good today as it did when purchased. Also have a Ruger SRH in 41. Took a nice 9pt last fall with it.

Waiting for a.41 mag barrel from Bulberry at the present. Ported contender barrel. This may be the largest bore I'm going to be able to shoot well, arthritis is a pain. Old age has set up shop.