New Berger Bullet Tip Process?!

Huntnful

So I just got in a lot of 7mm 180 Hybrids. I opened them up to load a few rounds for testing…. These things look immaculate! I've never seen such consistent tips from Berger before. Their terribly crooked and copper filed tips used to be my pet peeve haha.

I know one of their employees was on here saying they were working on a new process to get better consistency on the tip of the bullets. And either this is a result of that new process, or just a fluke haha. But these are just a random selection of bullets out of the box. And they all look like this. It dang near looks like I trimmed them on my Meplat trimmer and drilled the tips out already. Excellent!

IMG_3662.jpeg

IMG_3663.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3662.jpeg
    IMG_3662.jpeg
    231 KB · Views: 27
Yeah I'm not saying you had to mess with the tips. But they were still terribly inconsistent compared to about every other bullet on the market. Which never made sense to me. Other people figured out how to make the tips consistent, but not Berger (arguably the best bullet manufacturer)? Drove me nuts lol.

These look premium.

They look GREAT! I always like Berger Hybrids and OTMs for Target and also like the Sierra Match Kings.
I know that these shoot great for TARGET.

Now a few years ago we purchased several Thousand .224 Sierra Match King in 80 gr weight. At the time I was told that Sierra started "Pointing" some of their SMK and should look to see what LOTs we have. Well, I didn't think much about it at the time.

We did check into "Pointing" and "Trimming" the Meplat of the bullets and really didn't understand the entire process or the Theory behind modifying an already "MATCH" manufactured Bullets.

Then to top it off we would have to sort the bullets by "Wight and Ogive". After that when shooting the published BC by the manufacture would be different and would have a different outcome in a Ballistic Program such as "Applied Ballistics" loaded in a Kestrel. You would then have to change the "Custom Drag Curve".

Now I am not a person that is a Ballistic Tactician to find out the BC of a bullet that has been changed from "Pointing" and or "Trimming".
We kind of got an IDEA on the "Pointing" Process. We actually purchased a "Whidden Pointing Die" from a LRH member and also have the Inserts and Sleeves to "Point" all the different Brands & Calibers of Bullets that we shoot.

SO we have the tools to "Point" now should we also invest into "Trimming". We have a Super Trickler to weigh the bullets and Mitutoyo gauges to measure the Ogive.

Now there are some LRH members that are in High End Target Competition, and they do "Point" their bullets and win National Championships. They have reached out to us to help us understand the process and "Point" Bullets.
I think that this is a Rabbit Hole where we will get lost and have NO RETURN.

We can use any "Constructive Advice" from shooters that have or are actively "Pointing" and or "Trimming" Bullets for "F" Class or ELR.

Thanks
Len & Jill

Hope so... Back when Berger first moved from CA to AZ and got setup again, their tips were magacialy open on every box I got from AZ. Now last 5~600 have had more closed tips than they used to. Was so bad on my last bunch of 108 Elite hunters, I had to start opening them with a drill bit. Got 300 Elite Hunters showing up tomorrow. Would love them to look like yours!