New 16 acquisition

vern.284

I'm looking for a new 16. Grandpa's model 12 needs to be retired. Looking at
Franchi Instinct
F.A.I.R. of some flavor
OR something older like AYA, Ithaca, Fox ECT.

If anyone likes or has one of these or something else I'd appreciate your feedback and knowledge. SxS or over under are both welcome. I'm an Uplander, turkey guy and forest walker for whatever is in season. I had the browning sweet 16 and wasn't impressed. Thanks

Ithaca NIDs in 16ga pop up relatively frequently. Depending on the exact style they go for anywhere from under $1000 to several thousand. I paid $700 for my field grade, which is the lowest grade. They're all the same action, but different grades have different aesthetic features like engravings and nicer wood. They're very strong guns, among the strongest of their time. It fits me well, it's great for instinctive shooting, and is light enough it's no problem to carry it all day. Mine has been threaded for chokes, which I like. Some people think it's sacrilegious to thread old guns, but it's a shooter not a wall hanger and I like the flexibility.

It's a much lighter gun than a lot of folks are used to. Light guns take more practice to shoot. It's easy to stop them mid swing when you shoot, which will cause misses. I'm not familiar with the model 12 so you may be used to that. I start hitting the 5 stand and sporting clay courses around June and by the dove opener in September I'm in good shape.

I have a Franchi Instinct SLX. Haven't shot it at a bird yet but it's light and carries nice. Little bit longer length of pull than some of the other guns which I need.