Never Spoil your Bird Dog!

oJ6ECFk.jpeg
SCiHBMR.jpeg
If you're quoting physical traits for what means Brit vs American lab lineage, then it's merely show standards and physical appearance…..NOT lineage. There's a breed standard, and there's a pedigree. British lineage is about demeanor and personality vs American lineage, not appearance.

Which one here is 'British'?
IMG_7886.jpeg

oJ6ECFk.jpeg
SCiHBMR.jpeg
If you're quoting physical traits for what means Brit vs American lab lineage, then it's merely show standards and physical appearance…..NOT lineage. There's a breed standard, and there's a pedigree. British lineage is about demeanor and personality vs American lineage, not appearance.

Which one here is 'British'?View attachment 580053
The one third from left.

oJ6ECFk.jpeg
SCiHBMR.jpeg

Which one here is 'British'?View attachment 580053
Why are you keeping the Brit separate? lol
Honestly can’t see a difference.
English and American are easy to tell them apart. I thought I read that British were slightly smaller than American labs but you sure can’t notice any size difference in your picture.
Nice looking pack you have there!

Why are you keeping the Brit separate? lol
Honestly can't see a difference.
English and American are easy to tell them apart. I thought I read that British were slightly smaller than American labs but you sure can't notice any size difference in your picture.
Nice looking pack you have there!
I just guessing but look at head size and shorter legs on one 3rd from left.

My morning dog read has been and continues to be great. I will admit that I have always preferred English labs. Although labs in general have been close to my heart. I'm not sure if my current lab is actually a pure English despite the paperwork. He is a big boy, and the sweetest dog I have ever owned. We can't help but spoil him.
IMG_0346.jpeg
IMG_0327.jpeg

Last edited:
HdBjR0r.jpeg
They're ALL of 100% British lineage. Yellow labs. They're all built almost identically, and have normal length legs, though differences in size/weight. The far right dog is the Dam for them all. Same litter. Brit male sire. Physical appearance is NOT indicative of origin of lineage, merely type of lineage: sporting/hunting vs show. Sporting sticks to the breed standard for appearance. Show leans toward the popular notion of pageantry at the time….extremes of blocky, short legged, etc. Conformity and a pleasing appearance is desirable. Looking like another breed altogether?;)

…but by all means, do spoil your bird dog.

Last edited:
My morning dog read has been and continues to be great. I will admit that I have always preferred English labs. Although labs in general have been close to my heart. I'm not sure if my current lab is actually a pure English despite the paperwork. He is a big boy, and the sweetest dog I have ever owned. We can't help but spoil him.View attachment 580054View attachment 580055
Beautiful dog !
I've had a chocolate and yellow lab. Both were females. All dogs since have been males.

Last edited:
Hey,

So when I was growing up most bird dogs stayed outside, were fed table scraps and cheap dog food. They certainly weren't spoiled. So here's what happens in my house now. This is my soon to be 13 year old Brit. She's an incredible bird dog, I'll hunt her half days this year and it'll probably be her last big hunting year.
Take Care
View attachment 450936
ALWAYS spoil that which brings you great pleasure such as good bird dog, and your wifey as well......if she's solid on point. and soft mouth with birds.

Hey WYO, I hope it does too. All us bird dog people will just have to keep sharing. I'm currently in MI, came down for a nephews wedding. When I get back home and can find some pictures I'll share a story or two about my British lab Star. She's in doggy heaven hunting birds with my Dad.
Take Care
I'm looking forward to it !
Thank you !
My favorite dog I had for 16 years is in heaven also waiting for me.

Last edited: