Never hunt with a clean rifle specially long range

I use Butches bore shine and a nylon brush chucked up in a cordless drill then a quick swab of hornandy one shot then a dry patch as well I use a chamber brush in the process. Mabye it's because I shoot savage rifles . If I heavy clean during the prs season it takes a dozen rounds to get back to normal. Don't bash -it works for me I'd be more than happy to show results

I wish more people shot LR on clean bores. You would see exactly what Mr. Eagleman posted. If you take the bore condition back to zero, one or two fouling shots won't make it "battle ready". The more wear on the barrel the more foulers it will take to come back "in".

You should clean your hunting rifles barrel, shoot a couple 3 shot groups to verify your zero, let it cool completely, verify your cold bore zero, and put electrical tape over the barrel tip. The tape won't affect poi and will keep water and debris out.

Great demonstration; thank you. A logical followup question is this: Does my fouling ever go foul? Is there a point, either in number of shots or length of time, where I will/should clean my barrel and then re-foul? Thanks again.
You should clean, foul/recheck zero, tape over the tip, hunt with it, clean outside as much as necessary. Clean including the bore after season. Recheck zero before the next season and repeat. That's what I do anyway.
And as far as how often you should clean your barrel as far as round count, when accuracy falls off. Could be anywhere from 50 to 150 rds. I clean after ~50 rds, with a bore solvent like Hoppys, and CLP. And use a de-coppering solvent like Sweets 7.62 ~ every 500 rds.

Last edited:
Erik Cortina has an interesting take on this, but he's not talking about hunting more about very small groups at very long yardages. His point is that starting every shooting session consistently is a good approach. I understand that there is no way we can take fouling shots when in a hunt but his point is that staring every time with a clean barrel allows for consistent and accurate POI changes. Can't find the url for the video but it's worth a listen.

Erik Cortina has an interesting take on this, but he's not talking about hunting more about very small groups at very long yardages. His point is that starting every shooting session consistently is a good approach. I understand that there is no way we can take fouling shots when in a hunt but his point is that staring every time with a clean barrel allows for consistent and accurate POI changes. Can't find the url for the video but it's worth a listen.
I disagree with that. Imo it's better to shoot it, know it's on, and to tape over the tip with the barrel fouled, and go hunt. A fouled barrel shoots tighter/more consistent. Thats why we foul the barrel before shooting groups. But one with much effort could zero their rifle with cold clean bore shoots. But what a pain that would be. Plus copper fouling protects the bore from oxidation.

I disagree with that. Imo it's better to shoot it, know it's on, and to tape over the tip with the barrel fouled, and go hunt. A fouled barrel shoots tighter/more consistent. Thats why we foul the barrel before shooting groups. But one with much effort could zero their rifle with cold clean bore shoots. But what a pain that would be. Plus copper fouling protects the bore from oxidation.
He's not saying zero with the cold bore just start consistently when it counts. I agree with cleaning then fouling which what he's saying. I don't agree with waiting to clean when accuracy "drops off". Way too many variables affecting accuracy.

I use Butches bore shine and a nylon brush chucked up in a cordless drill then a quick swab of hornandy one shot then a dry patch as well I use a chamber brush in the process. Mabye it's because I shoot savage rifles . If I heavy clean during the prs season it takes a dozen rounds to get back to normal. Don't bash -it works for me I'd be more than happy to show results

Don't mistake my inquisitive nature with "bashing". I am genuinely interested in what cleaning technic works for heavily fouled barrels. Thanks for your response.