NEF Ultra Varminter for beginner shooter?

• Thread starter Deleted member 48126
  • Start date
Oh, and if you get the NEF, make sure he pulls through the trigger or it might not fire. Every one I had would fail to fire if I pulled the trigger slowly and stopped pulling as soon as the hammer dropped.

My cousin is in the 9th grade. His dad isnt much of an outdoorsman and asked me to get his son involved in hunting and shooting. He has some firearm and shooting experience with his shotgun and going to the clay range with his grandfather. My cousin is a big dude. He's 6'3" and 220lbs in 9th grade. I am not worried about recoil, weight, or length of pull issues like with typical youth rifles. I made the normal rifle suggestions for a beginner (Ruger American, Rem 700, Base model bergara, base model savages) but his parents are pressed financially. I found the NEF ultra varminter in .223 and .243 they go for about $250. Are these decent rifles? I feel like it would be a good beginner gun for long range shooting since it is a single shot. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am taking him on his first hunting trip december 20th, and hopefully Ill get him hooked.

Also, yes, I made the .22LR suggestions but he wants a "deer" rifle.
I love my h and r ultra,I put a sweet 223 on it and for a gun you have break open to eject and feed,it is very accurate.

My cousin is in the 9th grade. His dad isnt much of an outdoorsman and asked me to get his son involved in hunting and shooting. He has some firearm and shooting experience with his shotgun and going to the clay range with his grandfather. My cousin is a big dude. He's 6'3" and 220lbs in 9th grade. I am not worried about recoil, weight, or length of pull issues like with typical youth rifles. I made the normal rifle suggestions for a beginner (Ruger American, Rem 700, Base model bergara, base model savages) but his parents are pressed financially. I found the NEF ultra varminter in .223 and .243 they go for about $250. Are these decent rifles? I feel like it would be a good beginner gun for long range shooting since it is a single shot. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am taking him on his first hunting trip december 20th, and hopefully Ill get him hooked.

Also, yes, I made the .22LR suggestions but he wants a "deer" rifle.
TC compass can be had for $249. Tons of good reviews in these rifles.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/176403

I'm liking the Marlin XS-7 and TC Compass suggestions to go with the Rem 783 idea. A quality bolt action for near - or equal - NEF money seems like a better option for the kid. More likely to get a decent trigger and more accuracy along with 'repeater' capability.
This is a smoking deal; $249.88 plus free shipping for a .243 Win Marlin XS7 with 3-9 Bushnell scope:
https://www.cdnnsports.com/marlin-xs7-243-synthetic.html
Model XS7
The XS7 has been built for those who demand premium features at a fair price. Noteworthy features include the adjustable Pro-Fire™ trigger system, Soft-Tech™ recoil pad, fluted bolt for speed and smoothness, a pillar bedded stock for accuracy and recessed "target style" muzzle crown.

And a bolt gun is tunable. Lots of little things like playing with pressure points, bedding, trigger work , and playing with the firing pin spring tension to dial the gun in. The NEF is more of a beat around camp gun than a training rifle.

You know what I like most about this thread? You have an experienced shooter and hunter helping an inexperienced kid learn gun safety, e t h i c s of hunting, and what responsibility is about in the gun world. @300whisper you have my respect. I hope the kid learns a lot, has a great experience, and we'll see him on this forum in the near future posting pics of his first deer.

Yea, I see a trend with ol 300whisper lately. If I didnt know better I'd think he is trying to fill Remmys shoes .
It gives a great amount of satisfaction to help someone less knowledgable. It's the one thing I miss the most about leaving the store I worked at for almost 15 yrs. It was always a good day at work when a newb trusted me to steer them the right way. Keep it up , brother !

Yea, I see a trend with ol 300whisper lately. If I didnt know better I'd think he is trying to fill Remmys shoes .

You're right, I've really stepped up my trolling lately! ;)

thanks for the kind words, though. I'll keep you posted on the hunt on the 20th. It'll be in Monroe county. My cousin will have to use one of my rifles since Santa hasn't brought him one yet.

If he was a few years younger, I think a single shot would be a good starter rifle for him. But I think the amount of time that he will be satisfied with that rifle is going to be short. If you have the time, do some looking for a decent bolt gun. I found came across a Savage 110 7mm with a scope last week for $300. Deals like that are out there. But if you don't have time to look, get the NEF and be ready to trade it on something else in a couple of years.

And good for you for being willing to mentor him in hunting.

I have the Savage Axis you can not go wrong even with the one without accu-trigger. You can go on YouTube and they will show you how to cut 2 coils off trigger. bingo you have a 3.5 pound trigger. Mine shoots 1 inch groups with factory ammo. Go for the 243. Will kill a deer out 300 yards if you lung him. Shoots a 58 gr bullet for coyotes flat flat. He will never out grow this gun. Might be the only gun he would ever need the rest of his life. At 60 years old I have learned a very hard lesson. It's not the number of guns you own , It's only about the gun you shoot accurate. By more ammo and get good with it. The kid buys a savage gun and then buys a 4-12 Nikon that is going out of business for 70% off. you cannot beat it. MD

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts