Need Barrel Recommendation for AR15

My 18" AR will push 55 grain bullets to over 3000fps and group just fine.
My first question would be are those Chronographed? or is it some book load that uses a 24 inch barrel? It actually takes quality powder of over 27 grains of CFE to get 55's going.

But anyway good for you and the 7 twist :)

My first question would be are those Chronographed? or is it some book load that uses a 24 inch barrel? It actually takes quality powder of over 27 grains of CFE to get 55's going.

But anyway good for you and the 7 twist :)

Chrono'ed with a Calwell during development a long while back, a Magnetospeed when I put the suppressor on it, and now every time I shoot with a Garmin.

So back to the poster. I recommend 20 inch barrels with rifle length gas ports and match grade barrels. Stainless are nice for high usage rifles. I like the non threaded 11 target crowns. Then you want to look at the weight 30-36 oz are nice for weight balance. Not that 223 even max loads kick, so heavy barrels and brakes aren't needed. I have a couple of heavy SS fluted barrels like 48 oz and .936 gas block diameter. Heavy barrels keep you on target after firing and more mass takes longer to heat up. useful in extended clip after clip type shooting.

You can get calculators that tell you bullet rpm with twist rate and velocity and it will tell you the correct twist for your bullets. I will say this again and it is verified by these calculators 7 twist overstabalizes sub 62 grain bullets that you are shooting over 2800 fps. Attempting to shoot over 75 grain is also moronic, buy a Valkery. Period!

1724167684230.png

Doesn't look like it is overstabilzed by JBM's calculator. What exactly is "overstablized" anyway?

As for the comment about shooting anything over 75 grains with a .223 is moronic and that a 22 Valkyrie (correct spelling, BTW) is needed, I would say that is very narrow thinking. Learn a bit about ballistics and your world will open up.
You should probably take your signature line a bit more seriously.

And they are magazines, not clips.

This is only at 2800 fps With increased speed the numbers continue to go up into the yellow. The term clips is used for rifles like the m-14 that I had in the military or my present M1 . Simple symantics LOL My spell checker didn't catch the Valkyrie :)

With the bullet length like the 80 gr SMK it has to fit way down inside the small 223 case to stay less than 2.26 inches further limiting powder for velocity and not ideal for getting the bullet pushed down the barrel. So what if the BC goes up and the starting velocity is low. You are better off with less bullet drop to shoot a good BC bullet at a higher speed. Varminting is iffy even at 400 yards with a 223. It's a tiny target! I've got a couple of 8 and 9 twists that can shoot 62 and 69 grain hpbt's in quarter sized groups at 200 yards. That is what is required for critters. We go out and set up concrete blocks with wind flags laser range finder placed in a squirrel or PD area say from 200 to 350 yards. I have clear up to 40X 56mm and 60 mm scopes that cost more than most AR's. The real problem even with solid bench rests is summer heat wave distortion and variable winds. On flat ground you don't have a refference as to was the miss right or left.

Hey and bless your heart HandgunHTR for being such a pro I only shoot 1000's upon thousands of rounds a year! Yes, in june I drove a 2500 miles round trip to wyoming and South Dakota just to help out the ranchers.:)

224-Stabilization.png

Last edited:
It's like in military sniper school we shot 308's with 173 gr vld's. Not some 200, 220, or 240 grain. They just don't have enough case capacity like my 30-378 thousand yard gun.

My M1 with clips. I also own a racing "Bike" not referred to as a motorcycle.

M1-Garand-Rifle.jpg

Last edited:
One of my favorite cheap rounds with my 9 twist 20 inch squirrel gun. I load to 5.56 2 pressures and the highest accuracy was right at 3000 fps using 2000-MR or leverrevolution powder. Round numbers are easier to punch into a balistic calculator in a hurry because of changing weather conditions and elevation.