Need an idea for a project.

longtooth

I am getting ready to completely retire but first I want to build something special.

I have at my disposal the most complete machine shop you could imagine. there are over 14 million dollars in CNC mills and laths. spinning machines, EDM, Water Jet, as well as nearly any other kind of metal working machine you can think of.

My boss has given me the green light to build anything (legal) I wish, and to use whatever material and equipment I need.

But what to build? that is the question. I have thought of several projects I have always wanted to do and thought someone out there might have an idea.
More years ago then I like to think of I was able to get my hands on a 3.75 (75mm) mountain Howitzer for a couple of months, I always liked the Little beast and I have found my notes on it tucked away in some old files. I could build a scaled down model that can shoot 50 bmg.or 50X20mm. What do you think out there give me some ideas.
I will build every part myself from the Action, Barrel, Stock right down to the springs. I might even make my own brass.

Well speak up, or write up, what you think.

I always thought the 50-20mm that mcmillan was playing with for a while would be my "dream LR rig". They called it the 50FATMAC. 3400+ fps with a 750gr Hornady amax...

For those of you who aren't familiar with this round, enjoy.

50fatmacfirst.jpg
50fatmacloaddata.jpg
50fatmacloaddata2.jpg

To small of case capacity, go with the full case. also why would a machine shop need a spinning machine?

Be careful of this kind of velocity with the current bullets on the market. On averge, the 750 gr A-Max is a great bullet if kept under 2800 fps, much above that and it gets a bit ****y!!

Most comp shooters are driving this bullet to 2550-2650 fps and thats about it.

Don;t know if your interested but I happen to know Wildcat Bullets has been playing with some bullet designs up and icluding 1100 gr potential in the 50 cal. May be something to look into with a huge cased wildcat.

Of course, if your thinking this size of case, why not just apply to the ATF for a permit for something really special. As long as its for sporting use they rarely deny a premit as long as your background does not give any reason to.

In that case I would say build a 30mm Avenger Improved!!! Ya know that same cannon thats on the A-10 warthog tank buster jet!!. Pac Nor makes barrels up to 40mm I believe so there would be an easy place to get a barrel.

Bullets may be a bit harder to find!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

LongTooth: Why retire and leave heaven? Become "chipman" for one or two days a week after hours machine time! You do not want to have to make your own brass. Why do you want to start facing that kind of disappointment in your golden years? I would focus on getting together machine tools for the home shop. NC is nice for production runs, but for one offs why bother? The water torch is another deal all together, I would hate to loose the use if I had access to one. Look around for a good 7" shaper they can be had nicely tooled fairly cheap. Beats the heck out of the broach. Wire edm? Another reason not to walk away into retirement if that shop has one. Have they got an inside heat treat shop? I would ask them if I could part time it for some tool time. Just my two cents. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

boomer,
Thought i might answer this one,remember the "Moon Discs" seen on lakes dragsters and 50s Mercs, Customs and Hot Rods, they are made of "Spun Aluminium".
The spinning process involves drawing sheet metal over formers whilst revolving, using pressure generated from levers and and swagers.

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Longtooth,
Do you have any concerns about weight and portability? Are you going to tow this "piece of thunder" behind a vehicle?
Do you have any restrictions on what calibre you can legally own and shoot?
I dont want to drop a spanner in the works but these are some of the questions that sprang to mind when i was reading your post.

If these things dont bother you then WOW! the sky's the limit and i will start saving now to travel over to see you touch off the first round! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you want to lift this "Behemoth" onto a bench yourself, may i suggest something based on the 50BMG or the Cheytac case necked down to 338, with a massive bolt action machined out of high grade stainless, a 36"-40" long flutted barrel with equally massive muzzle brake.

A matched pair of self machined heavy duty rings could hold the biggest Nightforce scope and the whole lot could be Vee Block bedded into one of the many available composite stocks designed for the 50BMG.
To me that would be a nice set up, although i probably would not shoot it because i'm not very keen on heavy recoil. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ian.

I will only have restrictions on me if I decide to keep it as a personal weapon, then the only restriction will be caliber, I am limited to .50 dia. on the projectile. The company I work for does weapons development for the government and if I leave it their I will have no restriction. as far as wight, size, or cost I have no restrictions. I can make what ever I want. This company has made millions from my designs and this is there way of saying thank you.

In that case then,
What about a 1/6th scale working reproduction of the famous WWll FLAK 42 "88mm" AA/Anti tank gun, complete with automatic ejection.

Ian.

I am not up on the 42 I have examined a 36 in 88MM but you got me thinking a 40MM bofors AA twin or quad barrel would be fun.

I have access to the prototype shop whenever I wish and I have a 8000 sg. foot shop full of machines (mainly manual)of my own. Yes they have a heat treat and cryo shop on site.

fiftydriver

Thank you for the advise but I have access to some true custom projectiles, that are truly hand made, and I agree something around 1000 to 1500gr would be good.
As to the barrel PAC NOR does make a fine barrel but, That is what I do and I have some special thoughts on what I want, I Know it would be cost prohibitive to have the barrel or barrels made by anyone else.

Center Punch
Thanks for explaining what spinning is, few people have any idea of all the things that are made by spinning. I may make my cases using that piece of equipment.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.