N.M. Oryx

wyosteve

Just got back from a N.M. Oryx hunt and thought I'd provide a few thoughts for anyone else who might do an oryx hunt. First, they are absolutely stunning animals. They look like they belong in the country. Next, I think it is imperative to study their anatomy before the hunt. I had read about where to shoot make a killing shot, but after seeing diagrams and the animal I got it was very evident how different they are from what we are used to in North America. Their vitals are low and tucked much more forward than one would expect. They are incredibly tough animals. I hit mine with a .338 Win. Mag. 225 gr. Accubond at 89 yds. and even though it pretty much destroyed the lungs, it still ran about 100 yds. I was doing a broken horn hunt and this one is a double broken horn bull they estimated live weight at 450 lbs. A young former Marine was also hunting the same time. He hit one high (probably above the spine because the spine runs so low) and it was not found. Likely survived the hit. Lastly, they have an impressively large heart which is probably IMG_0858.jpegwhy they can run forever it seems. Anyway, already looking forward to hunting them again next year! IMG_0866.jpeg

Friend of mine dropped one in its tracks, spine shot with a muzzy broad head.Yes you have to shoot almost on point of shoulder. He lucked out with the bow shot

I dropped mine with a .308 400 yards. Broke his rear legs : ) He dropped immediately : )
400 yards, little wind, hands are not so steady anymore..
The copper bullet literally shattered both his rear legs.

Last edited:
A buddy and I are thinking about trying to put in this year for tags. Were you hunting on the missile base or off grounds? It looks like the odds are steep in drawing tags even with an outfitter......................................JR

I hunted off range after unsuccessfully trying to draw a tag. Odds are very steep even in the outfitter pool.