My Walmart .30-06

Posted on another section with no response...

Around here I am firing at a maximum of 200 yards, and I usually sight in at roughly 115. Here is my question; in some places I have the ability to use a bipod (which I really like, I can make a well placed shot and have no doubts when i pull the trigger) but sometimes a sling is more fitting. If I sight it in using a bipod will my POI change when switching to sling, or vise versa? Just starting out and trying to get my head on straight about all this! Thanks in advance

Your POI will likely not change but if you have any anxiety about it at all, go out test it. I will tell you though that positional practice is ALWAYS a good thing. My brother just killed a deer today at 65 yards while standing. He credits positional practice for his ability to make a great shot.

If your barrel is free floated using a sling should not effect it. Also, with a bipod, there will be no effect. My 308 rem 700 off a rest shoots the same from my bipod (from a bench). I have a stock remington 700 ADL with a laminate stock. I got it from Walmart when I was 18 and I love it! Keep up the good work.

Glad to see another wnc member on here. I recently went about the same route as you on a budget build. I had an old rem 721 action laying around. I found a 25-06 takeoff sendero barrel then ordered a Boyd's thumbhole stock. I am very pleased with the way it turned out. I opened the barrel channel up to completely free float. And bedded with brownells gel. The. Topped it with a Nikon 4.5-14 buckmasters.

Forgot to mention that is with hand loads.

Do you mainly hunt around sylva. I have several places around Jackson county where I have hunted. I live in Clyde and hunt gl around Haywood.

You're absolutely right that reloading allows you to custom tailor a load to your rifle. What's more, your bullet choices are infinitely better than factory loaded ammo. So here's a breakdown.....

Berger 168grain Hybrids $46 per hundred = .46 each
CCI BR2 Primers $40 per hundred = .40 each
H4831SC Powder $30 per pound = .25 each (7000grains per pound and 30-06 uses ~60grains of powder per round)
Total: $1.11 each or $111 per hundred

Please keep in mind that this calculation assumes you already have brass. If you buy brass you would look to add an initial cost of ~$1 per round. The beauty of brass is that you can reload it many times. So it is almost a fixed cost.

Also, the above calculation is done with a Berger bullet which is about the most expensive bullets on the market. Also CCI primers are on the high-end too. You could look at Hornady Amax bullets which are .28cents each and you can probably find less expensive primers. Regardless, all this still comes out cheaper than factory ammo at $32 per 20.

As for reloading gear, RCBS makes a nice kit. Get your parents to buy this for you for Christmas:

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Single Stage Press Kit

Then sell the 'uniflow powder measure' and get a powder trickler.

Once you have this, all you need is a set of dies. Personally, I like Redding and RCBS dies. RCBS dies will run you $30 to $50 depending on which set you like. Redding dies will cost you ~$200. All you need is a full-length sizing die and a bullet seater. I am not a fan of Lee dies as their 'collet neck sizing' tends to leave marks on the next of your brass which means they are not very concentric.

Minor correction but he meant to say $40 per 1000 on primers and 4 cents a piece. that means 100 reloads will be roughly $71 or $0.71 per round. (assuming you dont count the initial investment and do depreciate the cost of brass) BTW I highly reccoment buying used 06 brass. lots of it around and you will pay pennies on the dollar.

Minor correction but he meant to say $40 per 1000 on primers and 4 cents a piece. that means 100 reloads will be roughly $71 or $0.71 per round. (assuming you dont count the initial investment and do depreciate the cost of brass) BTW I highly reccoment buying used 06 brass. lots of it around and you will pay pennies on the dollar.

Good catch - thanks. I must have been hanging out with Dick Falcon Reflector when I wrote that up.:D

I looked into having Leupold change my turrets out on a vx-1. $289 is wha they wanted for it. Sell your scope and buy a vx-2 or something. With glass, you can never go too good!

I looked into having Leupold change my turrets out on a vx-1. $289 is wha they wanted for it. Sell your scope and buy a vx-2 or something. With glass, you can never go too good!

I know not everybody has the extra cash for a Nightforce, but a Nikon buck masters may do you good.

I would look into a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 or the 50mm objective model. These all have target turrets, 30mm tubes, side focus, and are awesome scopes for $425. Their warranty is also outstanding.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.